HomeCrew Needed and Crew Sought

This category is designed for those seeking crew and and those crew who are seeking passages

YSP crew available Messages in this topic - RSS

David BAINS

8 days ago
David BAINS
Shaun, Aqua Blue will be leaving Ayamonte on or b4 the 10th June, destination Horta.
My wife is quite happy to fly to Horta!. And my regular crew is busy flying.
I would consider taking a young person with some experience as crew.
Altho perhaps the 20yr olds are too young. Let me know if one is interested.
David Bains
0 link
shpeck

1/6/2018
shpeck
If a skipper is able to take Stuart on a passage please be in contact with Shaun Peck the OCC Youth Sponsorship Programme Coordinator
Stuart Picken (aged 26)
Sailing Experience: I have extensive experience in coastal sailing around the UK. Much of it in a professional capacity. I have worked in sail training for a long time, and have a passion for youth work and personal development. This has meant for a long time sailing came secondary to the youth work it allowed me to carry ourt. Having said that, I achieve Yachmaster Offshore commercial endorsement 7 years ago, and have regularly sailed as 1st mate since then for Ocean Youth Trust Scotland on large sail training yachts accruing something in the region of 15,000 coastal miles. I also, until recently, held a RYA cruising instructor certificate. Unfortunately I allowed this to lapse, as I never found time to use it! My sailing experience has given me a high standard of coastal sailing, navigation and a very high standard of safety. Moreover, I have a reasonable level of experience of repairs an maintenance. I have little offshore sailing experience (a trip to the Faroe Islands some years ago), and no ocean sailing experience.
Personal Statement: I am in the process of purchasing my own boat. Small boat cruising is new territory for me! I am hoping, over the next few years, to transition toward sailing for my own reasons and for the pleasure of it - rather than purely as a tool for youth development! One aspect of this is attempting to gain experience of ocean sailing, as I have ambitions of taking my own boat offshore in the future. I find living an working in Scotland quite isolating from the bulk of the sailing community, and applying for the OCC sponsorship scheme is, for me, as much or more about tapping into a community of experienced ocean sailors as it about financial assistance. Although obviously as I go through the process of buying my own small boat financial limitations are a relevant concern! Ocean sailing, particularly, I am finding a world difficult to come into contact with. Ideally I would like to find a passage during the winter, however my work program is quite flexible and with warning I suspect I could fit most things in! Moreover, locations and types of boats and all the rest I am very flexible over. Having said that, I would very much appreciate being involve in pre-departure preparations in terms of victualing, maintenance and routing. Finally, I would like to say that I am a very personable young man, and easy going yet with an excellent work ethic. I would be more than happy to supply references with regards to sailing experience and my fitness of personality for extended periods of close quarters living!
0 link