HomeCruising Reports & Plans

The Purpose of this section of the Forum is for members to inform each other of Cruising Plans and make Reports. We are in the process of migrating data from the CIC to this part of the Forum so that it can be more easily searched and navigated.

A New Trend in Cruising Reports? Messages in this topic - RSS

archive

8/10/2012
archive
Thank you very much for your help! I just uploaded a small text document and now I can download! :)
0 link
dcaukill

8/10/2012
dcaukill
Actually, no, I dont attach it because it is >25Mb .pdf!!

I can put it on a stick for you and post it if you like - or you can download it yourself. I share your view about that site, but if you dont want to pay the alternative is to upload something yourself.
0 link
dcaukill

8/10/2012
dcaukill
I attach a copy of that Mr John Guide.

Great Crusing area - some of the charts are a bit 'iffy ' but i found a GPS Overlay on Google Earth invaluable. I have posted details about this in the Apps Threads.
0 link
Simon Currin
Administrator

8/7/2012
Simon Currin
Administrator
Yes I see what you mean. Oh well at least it 's only a link from the CIC and not actually hosted on the CIC.
Simon

--
Simon Currin
S/V Shimshal simon@medex.org.uk
0 link
archive

8/7/2012
archive
Hello Simon,

Indeed the items are at http://cic.oceancruisingclub.org/cruising_areas/264-fiji

Item 5 under cruising information. They go to an external site (scribd.com) that is either advert-driven or susbscription-driven.

I too, doubt very much that the OCC would intentionally do this and the reports are readable providing you can 'see-past ' the advertising. However, I believe that the essence of the CIC is that we all share for the common good and that we are able to print off or save pages to form part of our 'off-line ' cruising notes that can be so helpful. To have to pay for the privilege somehow goes against what I believe to be our ethos.
0 link
Simon Currin
Administrator

8/7/2012
Simon Currin
Administrator
Which reports were you trying to access? Presumably you were following a link from the OCC site to an external site as I don 't think the OCC has any intention of either deploying adverts or charging members for acceess to any reports held on the the Cruising Information Site, the Main Website or the Forum. If you point me in the right direction I will certainly look into it.
Simon

--
Simon Currin
S/V Shimshal simon@medex.org.uk
0 link
archive

8/7/2012
archive
I was recently attracted to the news on the OCC site that some new cruising reports had been uploaded for areas I was interested in researching and I went to the site to take a look. They look really well put together and clearly a lot of work has gone into them however, my viewing of them was marred by the constant flashing of adverts as they changed every few seconds. I looked to see if they were printable or downloadable but this option requires a paid subscription which raises a question - 'in these days where everyone with a laptop can become their own publisher, will we have to pay to view cruising reports in the future? '

From my perspective, its the thin edge of the wedge and not really what I thought the OCC was about.
0 link