OCC Forums

OCC Fleet Map

https://forum.oceancruisingclub.org/Topic2495.aspx

By simoncurrin - 21 Oct 2015

I have set up a map displaying the last known positions of boats belonging to OCC members.

The OCC Fleet Map is housed in a secure part of the OCC Website and so is only visible to members who are logged onto the website.

Only those members that have given their consent will have their boats displayed on the OCC Fleet Map. At the moment consent and boat data is captured using the form below but ultimately this will be housed within the OCC Member 's database.

If you want to view or to add your boat then please use the links below and comment on this thread within the Forum.

Click here to complete a brief form in order to get your boat displayed.

How it works.
There are three alternative methods to enable position reporting for your vessel. These are listed below:

1. By AIS transponder this is automatic but requires a marintraffic.com account.

2. By using the OnCourse: Android or iOS self-reporting app. Download the App and follow the instructions to open Marinetraffic.com account. The App sits on your smartphone and uses the phone 's GPS to post the position. Obviously it will work anywhere there is a 3G or 4G Mobile data signal

3. By Emails.This too requires a Marinetraffic.com account and this needs to be associated with your boat 's MMSI number. Positions can then be sent in from anywhere where you have access to email provided you are using the email account that you used to register your Marrinetraffic.com account.

In order to use any of these you will first need to open your own account on www.marinetraffic.com but don 't worry this is free! Once you have your boat and MMSI registered you will be able to report your position by either email or using the free app called mAIS available from app store. Both are very easy to use. I don 't need to describe how to use the app but I will post below instructions as to how to send a position report by email.

How to email a position report to the OCC Map

1. Register your boat on the OCC Fleet

2. Open an marinetraffic.com account and then register you boat and MMSI. Ideally upload a photo too.

3. Email your boats position to report@marinetraffic.com but you MUST use the following format:

MMSI=235027206
LAT=56.21915
LON=-5.548925
SPEED=0.1
COURSE=236
TIMESTAMP=2015-06-15 08:31

Latitude and Longitude should be in decimal degrees. Negative values for South or West coordinates. Speed in knots. Timestamp in UTC

Good luck and I hope it works!
Simon
edited by simoncurrin on 1/25/2018
By alshaheen - 22 Oct 2015

Great work Simon!
So far I have only found Shimshal! You can now add Al Shaheen.
I shall be very interested to see how this develops.
By Delphinus - 24 Oct 2015

What a great idea, thanks Simon.

I have just added Delphinus but our AIS is off at the moment whilst we are landlubbing. Once we arrive back in Tenerife in 10 days we should be up and running too.

Jayne
By simoncurrin - 24 Oct 2015

Jayne,
Yes I tried to find you on the AIS register but couldn 't.
Simon
By simoncurrin - 25 Oct 2015

There are at least 5 alternative methods to enable position reporting for your vessel. These are listed below:
AIS transponder this is automatic and does not require a marintraffic.com account
mAIS: Android or iOS self-reporting app
E-mails with positions ' reports
Satellite or 3G/GSM locator devices

In order to use any of these you will first need to open your own account on www.marinetraffic.com but don 't worry this is free! Once you have your boat and MMSI registered you will be able to report your position by either email or using the free app called mAIS available from app store. Both are very easy to use. I don 't need to describe how to use the app but I will post below instructions as to how to send a position report by email.

How to email a position report to the OCC Map
1. Register your boat on the OCC Fleet
2. Open an marinetraffic.com account and the
report@marinetraffic.comn register you boat and MMSI. Ideally upload a photo too.
3. Email your boats position to report@marinetraffic.com but you MUST use the following format:

MMSI=235027206
LAT=56.21915
LON=-5.548925
SPEED=0.1
COURSE=236
TIMESTAMP=2015-06-15 08:31

Latitude and Longitude should be in decimal degrees. Negative values for South or West coordinates. Speed in knots. Timestamp in UTC
edited by simoncurrin on 1/11/2018
By Hasbun - 26 Oct 2015

Hello Simon,

Our boat has been on marinetraffic.com for almost two years. In fact, fans of the site (known as "spotters")have taken pictures of our boat and uploaded pictures they took of us!

One thing friends and family can sign up for is to receive e-mails each time our boat departs or arrives into a port. We ourselves have opted to receive such e-mails. It is amusing how sometimes we go into large ports and... nothing, and sometimes, we go into a tiny fishing village and there we get arrival and departure e-mails.

Anyway, we 've completed the brief google form and hope to find ourselves in the OCC map!

Odette
Marina de Lagos, Portugal
By simoncurrin - 26 Oct 2015

Odette,
I have added you to the map.
Simon
By BadgersSett - 26 Oct 2015

Hello Simon

Looks great, thanks for all your efforts.

As non members are not able to view our location on the OCC web, can they view via Marinetraffic.com?

We would like to use email for updates.

Thanks

Ken

Ken,
We are going to debate in committee whether or not it should be in a public or a private section of the occ web but I THINK that most will want it private. Perhaps this is a debate we should have on the Forum? Obviously each individual boats can be found on Marinetraffic but to view the fleet you would have to be logged on with the fleet account and, for obvious reasons, we need to keep the account details confidential.

What do you think should the fleet map be public or private? There are arguments both ways. It certainly describes the global nature of the club and the the AIS data is already in the public domain.

Simon
By BadgersSett - 26 Oct 2015

Simon

I am looking for something to replace my existing position reporting, so need non members to have access. The OCC map seems to be meeting a different objective.

Private v Public, good luck, you will not please everyone.

Ken

Ken,
You can post the code for your now boat 's position onto your own blog or website easily enough and it 's free see: http://voyagesofshimshal.blogspot.co.uk/p/where-is-shimshal-at-moment.html?m=1

I just tried to add Badgers Sett to the OCC Fleet but I can 't find it registered on the AIS database. Had the same with a few other boats. If you don 't have an AIS transmitter then the app mAIS will do the same job.
Simon
By BadgersSett - 27 Oct 2015

Simon

Many thanks. But you are dealing with a caveman. I don 't have a Blog, Website or AIS!!!!

I did complete the Google form for the OCC Map yesterday, but have not sent in a position yet, it 's my next task.

I will look into the App. and copy a picture from the wall of our cave!

Cheers

Ken
By MaryPhypers - 27 Oct 2015

Simon,

Brilliant idea and I 've registered 'Stella 's ' details. I have been using the marineTrafic mAIS app on my iPhone for a couple of years. If you see Stella doing 70kts up the M3, it because I forgot to disable it before driving home!

Many thanks for setting this up...
Cheers
Alan.
By neilm - 2 Nov 2015

Looks good, and works fine for Milvina
Thanks Simon (and any helpers you had) for the effort in putting it all together.
By ateale - 2 Nov 2015

Hi Simon, I think I have done the necessary, and would certainly be interested in providing reports by email and/or tablet app. Alan Teale
SV Kiviuq 235085169
By simoncurrin - 2 Nov 2015

OK Alan you are showing up the map. Was this an emailed position report or an AIS one? Just curious as I don 't think anyone other than me have reported their position by email thus far. David has successfully used mAIS.
Simon
By ateale - 3 Nov 2015

Hi again Simon, That was an emailed report. Am I understanding correctly that you are thinking about the possibility of providing them directly to the OCC map rather than via Marine Traffic? If so it would be a nice refinement. And many thanks for your efforts on this. Alan
By simoncurrin - 3 Nov 2015

Alan,
Thank you and I am pleased that emailed position reporting is working OK. We will continue to populate the map from the Marine Traffic database as most are reporting directly by AIS with very few, thus far, by App or email. When I added you to the database I noticed your last ports were Isafjordur and Reykjavic so we have covered the same ground this year. Where next year? We are hoping to get into Scoresby Sound if the ice in NE Greenland allows.
Simon
By ateale - 3 Nov 2015

Hi Simon, Kiviuq is wintering in Kip. Next year we plan to come back up to Iceland because we were too late this year to see the best of the birds and the big whales had already left. All being well we would hope to be heading south after Iceland, making for Madeira and then on into the southern hemisphere for a second summer.
Yes, I saw you were in Reykjavik. It 's a good spot and that concert hall is very impressive. And I am thinking of commending the fellow who seems to organise eveyone in Isafjordur to our PO convenor as a possible PO for Iceland.

Incidentally, I don 't get the map this morning when I go to the OCC Fleet page. Have I missed something?

Off to the boat now. I will look for your reply this evening or tomorrow. Have a good day.
Alan

So maybe see you in Iceland next year? We are sailing back to Isafjordur in April to go skiing and completely agree that Mugi would be a great PO. Just checked and the OCC Fleet Map is working fine this morning. I think there are occasional issues still with older unsupported browsers but it seems reliable at the moment.
Simon
By ateale - 3 Nov 2015

Simon, Are we thinking of the same person in Isafjordur? The fellow I have in mind is Halldor Sveinbjornsson with the yacht Bella Donna on the pontoons in the yacht harbour. He runs the local kayaking school and does a lot for youth dinghy sailing. I seem to remember we called him Torre when we there. Alan

Alan,
No I thought you meant Mugi the harbour master who bent over backwards for us. Having said that all Icelandics were incredibly helpful.
Simon
By ateale - 3 Nov 2015

Simon, For one reason or another we never got to meet the Harbour Master. If it 's OK with you I will go ahead with suggesting Halldor, but tell Jenny you may know of a second possibility should things fall through with Halldor.
Incidentally, and if I may ask, if you are on the boat at Brokey how are you managing your internet connection? Alan
Alan

Alan,
Please do let Jenny know and I will certainly seek Halldor out when we get back to Isafjordur in the Spring.

We did have internet access when we were in Brokey via a Digital Yachts WL510 WiFi amplifier but currently we are at home in the UK with the boat safely tied up in Reykjavik 's Maritime Museum!

Simon
By Delphinus - 5 Nov 2015

Hi Simon, we are back onboard but our ais (and other boats on this marina) is not showing up on Marine Traffic. I have just registered with mAIS assuming this works differently you should be able to locate us on there.
By Peter Forbes - 5 Nov 2015

How does one update the position manually? Peter forbes
By simoncurrin - 5 Nov 2015

Peter,
You need to send an email to report@marinetraffic.com set out in the format below. Nothing in the subject bar and then the text. I have inserted your MMSI and current position in the correct decimal format. note the longitude is west of Greenwich thus has a -ve prefix. Time should be UTC.
Simon

MMSI=235099197
LAT=28.09
LON=-15.25
SPEED=0.0
COURSE=110
TIMESTAMP=2015-11-03 23:06

Jayne,
I am still struggling to find your boat on Marinetraffic.com. I can 't see a UK registered Delphinus nor does it recognise the MMSI. Please can you check the details I have which are: Delphinus   UK   235113599. Alternatively if you can see yourselves on Marinetraffic (via mAIS) then tell me where you are and I should be able to find you. It maybe that if you have only just registered with mAIS it takes a day or two to synchronise their various databases.
Simon
Simon
By Delphinus - 5 Nov 2015

It is visible now - finally!

Jayne,
OK so tell me where you are and I will find you add you to the fleet because at the moment you are not on their database. I suspect you will be on their database in a day or two.
Simon
By basdeerenberg - 6 Nov 2015

Dear Simon,
We have sent in the registration form, have a marinetraffic.com account and an AIS transponder, but our boat TiSento is not showing on the OCC fleetmap yet.
Please let me know if I need to resubmit.

Best regards
Bas
By simoncurrin - 6 Nov 2015

Bas
I can see you in Grenada with a last recorded position on 24/10/2015. Are you still there? If not are you broadcasting and in range? If out of range for some reason then you can update by email or mAIS.
Simon
By simoncurrin - 6 Nov 2015

Jayne,
The database has refreshed and you now show up on the OCC Fleet map.
By Delphinus - 6 Nov 2015

Thanks Simon, sorry it 's taken so long to sort out.
By basdeerenberg - 6 Nov 2015

Simon,
Indeed TiSento is still in Grenada on the last shown position.Planning to move up north in the next 2 weeks.

Bas
By DuncanRia - 11 Nov 2015

Sea Topas is currently on the hard at Marmaris Yacht Marina, Marmaris Turkey
37.2.04 N 27.25.57 E
By simoncurrin - 24 Dec 2015

We now have 105 boats registered on the OCC Fleet Map.

Lots of boats moving around in the Caribbean so I hope the map is helping some members to find other OCC boats in the vicinity.
Simon
By simoncurrin - 22 Jan 2016

We just signed up our 125th boat to the OCC Fleet Map. What is really good though is that the boat, Katherine Ann, is mid Ocean on a solo non-stop circumnavigation and she was set up from scratch via IridiumGo. Great job Bill and welcome to the OCC Fleet Map. We are looking forward to tracking you on you mammoth solo trip.
Simon

[attachment=316]ScreenShot2016-01-22at22.41.13.png[/attachment]

By Guy.Chester - 3 Feb 2016

Hi Simon,

I have done all as you said. Marine traffic appears to know where Sanctuary is from AIS..GREAT !!!!

Cheers

Guy
By simoncurrin - 3 Feb 2016

thanks Guy.
Simon
By mrsannelloyd - 25 Feb 2016

Hi Simon
I have just completed the form. I thought we had previously registered for this. We are in NZ, but not showing so far!

Sofia

Let me know if AIS transponder is enough or whether I need the App

Anne Lloyd
By simoncurrin - 25 Feb 2016

Anne,
I hadn 't previously received your Fleet Map registration but I am pleased to say you are now the first boat to register (and show up) from Nelson, New Zealand.
Simon
By Hasbun - 12 Mar 2016

Hello Simon,

I 'd like to point out that as of this morning the map is not working.

Thanks for all the great work.

Cheerio,
By simoncurrin - 12 Mar 2016

Odette,
It 's working again and you are showing up just south of Barcelona. It does periodically go off line which I assume is maintenance related.
Simon
By Hasbun - 12 Mar 2016

Hello Simon,

Many thanks for the prompt response.

I regret to advise that as of 5:19pm Barcelona time, when one clicks on the link cited on the 1st post of this thread, namely:

http://www.oceancruisingclub.org/index.php/cruising-information/occ-fleet

... the result is:
Not Found

The requested URL /index.php/cruising-information/occ-fleet was not found on this server.

Apache/2.4.6 (CentOS) OpenSSL/1.0.1e-fips mod_fcgid/2.3.9 PHP/5.4.16 Server at www.oceancruisingclub.org Port 80

Again, thanks for all the hard work.

Cheerio
By simoncurrin - 12 Mar 2016

Odette,
Oh now I understand. There is a general problem with the website following the demise of the web server last week. The internal links have all been messed up and Andrew is working hard to restore it. The link that is working is if you log onto the website and open the Cruising information tab. At the bottom of that menu there is a working link to the OCC Fleet Map.

Alternatively try this link http://www.https://occwebsite.azurewebsites.net/Flying-Fish-Archive?id=id=2698&Itemid=410

I hope they get the website fixed soon!

Simon
By DariaBlackwell - 18 Apr 2016

The website is now up and running with all links working. If you are having trouble seeing the Fleet Map, it may be a function of the browser you are using. Firefox loads it fine. Chrome is causing problems.

There’s a new cookie disabler in Chrome. You need to enable cookies from Marine Traffic. Look inside the URL box to the right of the URL. Click on the half eaten cookie icon there and click on 'cookie blocking '. If you see Marine Traffic, click on 'Allow '. Then type in oceancruisingclub.org and click 'Allow '. Then click 'Done '. That should do it.

If you are having problems in other browsers, please report them to me. Thanks.
By alshaheen - 19 Apr 2016

Not working yet on Firefox but OK on Safari
By simoncurrin - 2 May 2016

Just to let everyone there is a currently a problem with the OCC Fleet Map. It appears Marinetraffic.com have upgraded their software with the inevitable consequences! We are waiting for a response from them. Sorry about this.
Simon
By simoncurrin - 5 May 2016

I am pleased to report that the OCC Fleet Map is now fixed and appear to be stable.

We have had a flurry of new registrations as people get their boats in the water for the northern summer so please take a look and let me know of any problems.

Please encourage other boats to register so that the map gives a comprehensive overview of our OCC Fleet.

Simon
By Chantey V - 27 Jun 2016

Kaunakakai Harbor, Molakai, Hawaii
By simoncurrin - 27 Jun 2016

Daragh,
Sorry I am not quite clear. Do you want this boat displayed on the fleet map?
Simon
By Alan.Leslie - 8 Jul 2016

Elyse is anchored off the Royal Suva Yacht Club, Suva, Fiji
18 07.41S, 178 25.47E
By simoncurrin - 8 Jul 2016

Just a brief reminder to those updating their boats position by email:

1. If you are struggling to decimalise your lat long then if you go to the fleet map and hover your mouse where your boat should be then the lat long will be displayed on the screen in the correct format.
2. Don 't forget the important -ve in front of the Latitude to depict southern hemisphere and, similarly, -ve in front of the Longtitude to depict the western hemisphere.
3. email your message to report@marinetraffic.com
4. The email must be sent from the email account registered with Marinetraffic.com or else the position will not update.
5. It is easy to change your registered email address on the Marinetraffic website if you want to send from your satellite of SSB email account.

An example of a successful position post is pasted below. The email should be addressed to report@marinetraffic.com. The subject should be left blank and the body text should read:

MMSI=235027206
LAT=66.07319
LON=-023.12522
SPEED=0.0
COURSE=110
TIMESTAMP=2016-07-04 17:30

Hope this helps.

Simon
By Toys_with_Time - 7 Aug 2016

Simon
I update my yachts position automatically via Boat Beacon App and my understanding is that the locations for all AIS and App based locations go into a global database of boat positions. I have signed up for being added to the OCC map but not sure if you will pick up my position by this method although I should appear on Marinetraffic.

Let me know and if not will go to plan B.

Cheers
Chris
SV Katmazu
By davidbains - 3 May 2017

I agree, I have failed to get an MMSI no or download OnCourse the mAIS app.
It 's incomprehensible to a pensioner!!
By simoncurrin - 3 May 2017

David,
Do let me know if you want me to help you with the OnCourse app.
Simon
By davidbains - 4 May 2017

Thanks Simon. There seems to be something preventing my installing OnCourse on my Blackberry Passport. I will try again!! Mobile reporting seems like a good idea, we 're nearly always in cellphone range in SW Iberia.
By davidfosh - 6 May 2017

from David Fosh on Reflections of Hayling. Now in mali losinji in Croatia for 3 days