OCC Forums

Worldwide liferaft service: Which brand?

https://forum.oceancruisingclub.org/Topic3941.aspx

By Janice.Fennymore-White - 16 Jun 2017

Hi everyone,

Any advice please for a brand of liferaft worldwide servicing? Currently we have an ADEC liferaft on hire, but due to my own lack of homework it turns out that it is their own brand, not a rebadged make. We are due to be in Greenland next year when it is due for service and it looks likely that we will have to return it to the UK and cancel the hire agreement. That leaves us with having a new replacement sent out or buying a Viking liferaft in Greenland. But in the next few years we will hopefully be in the Pacific and I do not want to find that no one can service the replacement.

Who can shed any light on worldwide servicing?

Has anyone managed to fly with a liferaft (IE including the pyrotechnics and cylinder)?
By simoncurrin - 17 Jun 2017

Andy & Janice,
I think you will struggle to get an airline to take a life raft. We had to ship ours as 'dangerous cargo' to Sweden some years ago and it was very expensive. We had the same problem trying to get a lithium outboard battery back to Iceland but thankfully we found an OCC boat willing to take it with them thus acieving what FedEx refused. It's possible that there maybe a Greenland bound OCC boat leaving North America willing to deliver to you at Nuuk? You never know!
Simon
By Janice.Fennymore-White - 19 Jun 2017

Perhaps that I should add to my request that if there is an OCC vessel in or around Nuuk in August returning to the UK, and they would be willing to return or liferaft for us to please contact us.
By DariaBlackwell - 27 Jun 2017

On another note, our liferaft is due for a service. We've been told that no one in Europe services Winslow liferafts. Does anyone know differently or have any ideas?