OCC Forums

Oversize Anchor Shackle

https://forum.oceancruisingclub.org/Topic5165.aspx

By bbalme - 19 Jun 2019

Does anyone used these Gunnebo Chain Couplers?

I purchased my new Maggi chain (5/16" heat treated) with one on each end - had to cut one off since it wouldn't fit down the hawser - let alone feed in the windlass!
They look exceedingly robust - significantly stronger (I hope) than a standard shackle - always the weak link in the rode - but I wonder if anyone has any opinions/experience with them?

They are held together with a pair of coiled spring pins (I ended up mousing them just to be sure) - is this a weakness?

Appreciate any thoughts...

(This is the extra one - pins partially pushed out - was trying to see how easy they come out - NOT easily!)
By simoncurrin - 20 Jun 2019

Yes Bill we have been using one for 5 years and agree with your observations.
By Dick - 21 Jun 2019

Simon Currin - 6/20/2019
Yes Bill we have been using one for 5 years and agree with your observations.

Hi Bill,
I suspect that the shackles you pictured will do the job, but in general, I shy away from equipment that I consider untested by multiple cruisers over long periods of time, especially for critical areas such as ground tackle. I do not like to be doing R&D with my boat.
In the US, I would also suggest that you are not solving a problem as Crosby shackles do the job and are stronger than G40 chain and so, do not introduce a weak link. I am not sure what the equivalent shackle might be in the EU/UK.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy