OCC Forums

What's this??

https://forum.oceancruisingclub.org/Topic5209.aspx

By bbalme - 23 Jun 2019

Can anyone assist with this? We sailed up to the Shetlands a couple of days ago and while down below, Laurie heard something drop on the deck. A couple of days later and we found this... Any idea what it is? It was at the base of the mast on which I have some Lewmar clutches, winches & cleats and then the normal standing rigging one would expect.
By Dick - 23 Jun 2019

Bill Balme - 6/23/2019
Can anyone assist with this? We sailed up to the Shetlands a couple of days ago and while down below, Laurie heard something drop on the deck. A couple of days later and we found this... Any idea what it is? It was at the base of the mast on which I have some Lewmar clutches, winches & cleats and then the normal standing rigging one would expect.

By Dick - 23 Jun 2019

Bill Balme - 6/23/2019

Hi Bill,
Looks like a roller bearing to me. I do not remember indents on the end, though. My winches have dozens of these held in place by a plastic collar/sleeve that allows them to roll freely over the solid metal insert of a gear or a shaft. One of my large foot blocks have the same as do some larger turning blocks, usually high-end. I am less familiar with some slippery mainsail track cars (Harken?) which may glide over rollers.
I can’t think what might be high up on the mast, but I would look around with binocs if nothing else if all else fails and see if something comes to mind.
Let us know what you discover.
Good luck, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy
By bbalme - 28 Jun 2019

I've been up to the top of the mast checking everything - can't find a thing missing.

I don't think it's a roller bearing - as it's stainless and I think all of mine are some kind of plastic or ceramic.

Someone must have a clue!
By Dick - 28 Jun 2019

Bill Balme - 6/28/2019
I've been up to the top of the mast checking everything - can't find a thing missing.

I don't think it's a roller bearing - as it's stainless and I think all of mine are some kind of plastic or ceramic.

Someone must have a clue!

Hi Bill,
Interesting. I believe the roller bearings on Alchemy are all stainless.
The search continues.
I would send the pic to a rigger.
Let us know what you find out.
My best, Dick
By David.Tyler - 1 Jul 2019

Pins with grooves like this generally have circlips to secure them. I don't think you'll find pins that small in your winches, blocks and standing rigging; I suspect that it comes from a Lewmar clutch: the dominos must each have such a pin at their fixed end.