OCC Forums

Using unlocked dongles in USA and Pacific

https://forum.oceancruisingclub.org/Topic865.aspx

By RobertBell - 27 Mar 2013

Does anyone have experience of using an unlocked UK dongle to allow sim cards with US data bundles on? The idea is to be able to connect to the web using the dongle and just purchase sim cards for the countries we visit. Sounds too easy I guess. Any help would be appreciated.
By dcaukill - 16 Apr 2013

In my limited experience, they work where the local service provider lets them. In Fiji in particular, Vodafone is the dominant provider of v cheap, access but the Sim refused to work using our Dongle, it comes with some software that makes it work forcing you to buy the dongle. It 's not much more than $10 so no hardship.
By RobertBell - 16 Apr 2013

Many thanks.

I now understand that the easiest way is to just buy a dongle and data package where ever you are. As a back up I can now tether my mobile phone to the laptop and use data on my mobile account that way. Very much cheaper than getting a Vodafone dongle in the UK to travel with!
By dcaukill - 16 Apr 2013

One other thing I have found is that Vodafone dongles are not transferrable between territories. Buy one in Marquesas, it doesn 't work in Tahiti. Or Fiji. Have to buy local dongle.