Iridium Go for $125/mo and unlimited data?

Author
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Yesterday, Space X successfully deployed an Iridum Next generation payload of 10 satellites. https://www.iridiumnext.com/ It will support a whole new technology called Iridium Certus enabling global mobile broadband. I wonder how much it will cost.

"Iridium Certus will integrate with internet, cellular, Land Mobile Radio System, and location-based applications to keep you connected anywhere on the planet."

Vice Commodore, OCC 
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Daria,
Thanks for that. Let’s hope it’s affordable
Simon
Stephen Foot
Stephen Foot
New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I am looking for some advice on Satellite comms packages. We have an SSB radio and an Iridium 9555 system installed. The SIM and air time on the phone is long expired and we are about to set off across Atlantic and Pacific to New Zealand. Last time we used MailaSail and i dont want to use them again - for all the reasons that get posted here.
It seems that lots of people recommend Iridium Go!, but I dont think I can use it without starting again. So i was considering SailMail and an Airtime package. Our usage should be reasonably light - consisting mostly of weather downloads and e mails.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what i should look at?

Many thanks

Stephen Foot
Water Music
Gian Luca Fiori
Gian Luca Fiori
New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I might suggest to take a look at the Iridium Go. It's very easy to set up and the additional cost is negligible once you trade in your Iridium 9555. With the PredictWind package of a $125/month, you get unlimited messaging, emails, tracking (I used iboattrack) and you can download the weather as many times you want. I just finish a loop New England, Caribbean and back to New England and I was very satisfied how well it works. I used the same external antena from my Iridium 9555 which I sold on eBay for around $700. For emails, I continued to use XGATE from Global Marine Network but, you can just use the Iridium tools.
Gian Luca Fiori
Vivaldi
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search