Psychiatric problems at sea

Author
Dick
Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Simon,
Understood. And I would very much like to learn more about glues and wounds. And while on the topic of re-locating threads, there were a few in the “buying boats”: area that might be best re-located.
My best, Dick
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Dick I moved some of the buying boats bits to Turkey. It you come across any other anomalies do let me know.
Simon
Roger Harris
Roger Harris
Gaining Respect (118 reputation)Gaining Respect (118 reputation)Gaining Respect (118 reputation)Gaining Respect (118 reputation)Gaining Respect (118 reputation)Gaining Respect (118 reputation)Gaining Respect (118 reputation)Gaining Respect (118 reputation)Gaining Respect (118 reputation)
Perhaps I've just been lucky, but I've yet to encounter any obvious cases of psychiatric distress offshore.

Here's a lengthy popular magazine article from November, 2018 that may be relevant: "My Father's SOS—From the Middle of the Sea".
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)
Roger Harris - 21 Apr 2021
Perhaps I've just been lucky, but I've yet to encounter any obvious cases of psychiatric distress offshore.

Here's a lengthy popular magazine article from November, 2018 that may be relevant: "My Father's SOS—From the Middle of the Sea".

Hi Roger,
Probably the most famous psychiatric problem off-shore is Donald Crowhurst on a Golden Globe Race” google for details and I hear the book is good.
I do not think you are lucky: I believe that psychiatric problems offshore are rare, especially those of a “psychotic break” level. (Already mentioned are the medication induced variety.) Most people who suffer in this area know they are vulnerable (with some exceptions) and, with good judgement, do not put themselves in such a challenging environment. Those with well managed challenges (anxiety, depression, maybe even bi-polar), tend to do just fine and definitely benefit from a spouse or crewmate knowing of the issues and, if relying on medication, ensuring that it is taken regularly in the unusual sleep and work schedules of an off-shore passage-making vessel.
Far more common (and generally far more problematic and destructive) is what I call “character pathology” or what also might be called the excesses common in everyday life. The most common might be the man who is prone to angry outbursts when things go a bit pear shaped: The “Cap’t Bligh syndrome perhaps. Often this is seen on racing boats, but on cruising boats this anger can be directed at his spouse or crew. It is caused by the man not having good mechanisms for dealing with anxiety. And off-shore, in tight quarters with no relief in sight, this can lead to problems.
Another common occurrence is the Captain (again often a man) who must have everything “just so” and is not easy-going enough to allow for things to be “good enough”. Sometimes this slips into a rigid admonition to “do it my way”.
Then there is the micro-managing person who is always looking over the shoulder of others giving “advice” and instructions.
Many a cruise (and many a marriage) has foundered on these issues which may be tolerable when on land, but can be quite destructive in the confines of a boat at sea.
Random thoughts, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy

Daria Blackwell
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
I came across this guide to single-handed sailing online and the first section is all about psychology. I haven't read it yet only scanned it but it looks pretty good.

It is available as a free download from the Singlehanded Sailing Society.
https://www.sfbaysss.org/main/resources/

Vice Commodore, OCC 
Daria Blackwell
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
Hi Dick,
It might amuse you to know that I incorporated scopolamine in the plot of my 'nautical murder mystery' novel. 

And the book about Donald Crowhurst is very good as was the movie starring Colin Firth.
https://www.yachtingworld.com/features/donald-crowhurst-fake-world-sailing-story-the-mercy-123426 
Daria

Vice Commodore, OCC 
Daria Blackwell
Daria Blackwell
I am reminded of the case in which a psychotic crewmember jumped off a sailboat mid-ocean and the skipper, Rick Smith, did not go back for him and was later prosecuted for manslaughter. 
https://nationalpost.com/news/world/maine-captain-charged-with-seamans-manslaughter-three-years-after-a-crew-member-jumps-off-his-boat-into-the-ocean

The captain was acquitted and his boat was returned to him. 
https://www.boothbayregister.com/article/captain-rick-smith-acquitted-seaman-s-manslaughter-charges/112516

But his life was forever altered.
https://wgme.com/news/local/maine-captain-recalls-night-of-crewmans-death-manslaughter-trial

Vice Commodore, OCC 
Dick
Dick
Daria Blackwell - 16 Jun 2021
Hi Dick,
It might amuse you to know that I incorporated scopolamine in the plot of my 'nautical murder mystery' novel. 

And the book about Donald Crowhurst is very good as was the movie starring Colin Firth.
https://www.yachtingworld.com/features/donald-crowhurst-fake-world-sailing-story-the-mercy-123426 
Daria

Hi Daria,
Yes, Scope is nothing to fool with as it can strike unpredictably producing striking reactions, so, I suspect, it would make for a good ingredient in a murder plot. For some who have bad seasickness, it works very well and can be used safely (a common recommendation is to use it on shore to see if you have a bad reaction before using it offshore). I am not sure if it continues to be a recommended remedy.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search