Sinking in NWP 2018

Author
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
Group: Administrators
I received an update on the Northwest Passage from Victor Wejer:

Daria,
This day have re-written the outcome of 2018 Northwest Passage.
Thor (GER) navigated to Nome, Alaska finishing its transit.
Infinity (GER), this monster ferro-cement 120 ft. & 200 ton Ketch, 450 HP engine with 20 POB crossed Bellot Str. eastbound. Infinity tried few attempts of crossing and the final was the most excruciating with very last half mile of 9+ ice. Met icebreaker there who was tending her self much more than assisting others. Swirling ice eddies, strong 6kt current occupied their last part with one of the crew getting into MOB after slipping off deck onto edge of ice floe. Got retrieved promptly with the fishing net. The only MOB in Bellot history.

Both of them made the history of only (vessels) to make the transit (in 2018).
However, Infinity still has to get at least to Baffin Bay to collect the prize. Fortunately for them the ice conditions on their return is somehow easy despite re-freezing and I am sure they will make it. Baffin this year is very easy for those returning, thanks to Mr. Arctic.
No wintering boats fortunately.
Cheers,
Victor
edited by DariaBlackwell on 9/22/2018

Vice Commodore, OCC 
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search