Hurricane Reflections and survival

Author
Nigel Studdart
New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
HI everyone

Thanks so much for all the interesting comments and feedback. It's a different world today than it was back in the time of Hugo in so many ways. Many more bare boats ( Missiles) and crowded anchorages. Stronger hurricanes by a seriously large factor yet better forecasting. Better Navigation equipment and more accurate and reliable passage planning. ( Less seat of the pants instinctive seamanship)

Later this year I will be sailing from NW Spain across to visit many old friends in the BVI and elsewhere in the Caribbean on my Oyster 435, Azura, my 9th ( If memory serves me well) Transatlantic this way.

Well equiped with communications and a reasonable range under power my tactics now would be very different. Its also my boat and completely my choice with no other influences.

I used to very much enjoy the summers in the Caribbean. The trades are lighter but strong enough for a good sail so inter island passages are a pleasure and some anchorages are tenable which in winter are not. The tourists are thinner on the ground and the pace is more of the past, an easygoing shuffle.., It also seems to me that local people are in some ways happier to see yachts when they come in smaller doses. A little like the restaurants in the South of France in Winter, where the food and service seem to improve as the clients decrease and become more courteous.

All that aside my tactics now, are to carefully watch the weather and have the boat stocked and fueled ready to move at a moments notice. I would never undertake repairs in the hurricane belt in summer that could delay a speedy departure. The same applies to the Pacific and Indian Ocean. This time I will leave the Hurricane belt well before the hurricane season and find myself somewhere in Columbia or perhaps Panama. ( Although the Suzie too rally has a great deal of attraction, so may look at that) .

It is a shame for the islands who used to rely on some over summer cruisers refit work to keep marine businesses going and also for the cruisers who had a great summer community.

If perchance you see Azura in your travels do drop over for a beer or cup of tea and we can continue the conversation further. Meanwhile safe sailing to all and a safe hurricane / cyclone season wherever you end up.

Best regards

Nigel
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (614 reputation)Forum Expert (614 reputation)Forum Expert (614 reputation)Forum Expert (614 reputation)Forum Expert (614 reputation)Forum Expert (614 reputation)Forum Expert (614 reputation)Forum Expert (614 reputation)Forum Expert (614 reputation)
Group: Administrators
I am really grateful for this thread as we fly out to Nova Scotia to prepare Shimshal for a direct hit from Hurricane Darian. This episode alone justifies the existence of this Forum!
Simon
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)
Simon Currin - 9/6/2019
I am really grateful for this thread as we fly out to Nova Scotia to prepare Shimshal for a direct hit from Hurricane Darian. This episode alone justifies the existence of this Forum!Simon

Hi Simon,
Casual reflection leads me to think that Maskells Harbor might be a good hidey-hole for Shimshal in the coming wind. It is quite close to Baddeck. We are heading for an anchorage in the Bona Vista area here in Newfoundland, but may have found a better alternative, Catalina, on the way there. Our ten plus years in Europe was a delight not to have to worry about hurricanes. Dick
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (614 reputation)Forum Expert (614 reputation)Forum Expert (614 reputation)Forum Expert (614 reputation)Forum Expert (614 reputation)Forum Expert (614 reputation)Forum Expert (614 reputation)Forum Expert (614 reputation)Forum Expert (614 reputation)

In the end we took a direct hit from Hurricane Darian and watched the barometer fall 40 mbar in 16 hours.. We set the boat up as best we could in a brilliantly sheltered inlet in the Washabuck River and then went ashore to let the storm go it’s worst. Being nowhere near a road we took our 20 year old second liferaft (which nobody will service) into the wood and, with a pull of the chord, had a brilliant hurricane shelter of our own. As SHIMSHAL surged around her anchors we discovered that life rafts aren’t really designed to keep the rain out.Twenty four hours later we were back on board trying to work out how to get a very wet liferaft back in it’s box! SHIMSHAL is unscathed apart from a broken snubbing line. Tomorrow we will they to retrieve the anchors!
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)
Simon Currin - 9/8/2019

In the end we took a direct hit from Hurricane Darian and watched the barometer fall 40 mbar in 16 hours.. We set the boat up as best we could in a brilliantly sheltered inlet in the Washabuck River and then went ashore to let the storm go it’s worst. Being nowhere near a road we took our 20 year old second liferaft (which nobody will service) into the wood and, with a pull of the chord, had a brilliant hurricane shelter of our own. As SHIMSHAL surged around her anchors we discovered that life rafts aren’t really designed to keep the rain out.Twenty four hours later we were back on board trying to work out how to get a very wet liferaft back in it’s box! SHIMSHAL is unscathed apart from a broken snubbing line. Tomorrow we will they to retrieve the anchors!

Hi Simon,
The Washabuck area was my second choice and I am glad it worked out for you. I like lots of swinging room around me for laying out lots of chain and possibly putting out a second anchor if wind shifts dictate. I usually opt for more room rather than snug places like Deep Cove when preparing for a blow, but I recognize that that is a personal choice rather than any assessment that one is better.
We are very snug on a wharf in Catalina completely protected on all sides so we feel very lucky (rough long sail to get here from St. John’s). It is still blowing 30-40 kn (highest gust = 43 kn) and slowly veering around to the west and expected to blow hard the next 10-12 hrs or so. Those west of us (where we were most of this season) sound like they are seeing more severe winds.
I am glad you were not on the mooring: I am generally skeptical of moorings and think it wise to have gone off to anchor. I am always far happier at anchor and it sounds like it worked well for you. Please report how the mooring field faired and what the gradient winds were like (and the gusts).
It also might be of general interest to Forum readers to hear how you prepared Shimshal and why you decided to be ashore. And what level winds you expected and how much change in direction. On the wharf, I had little more to do than add 2 extra lines and throw on the full complement of fenders: eight in all. Winds veered 270 degrees and generally blew along the wharf or blew us off the wharf.
My best, Dick

Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Dick
I will write it up in due course. On VHF there were reports of a boat adrift entering the marina so my guess is that that came off a mooring.

We had winds to 80kn initially from NE and finally W. Two anchors and a shoreline meant we could stay mid pool. The only other boat here was an F28 trimaran who didn’t need the depth.

We went ashore because we were pretty wiped out having flown in on Friday and then raced to find an anchorage and prepare the boat by mid morning Saturday. We could the relax ashore knowing that we had done all we could and that the boat was insured.

I will report back once we have retrieved everything tomorrow. Winds now dropping off.

Simon

Dick - 9/8/2019
Simon Currin - 9/8/2019

Hi Simon,
The Washabuck area was my second choice and I am glad it worked out for you. I like lots of swinging room around me for laying out lots of chain and possibly putting out a second anchor if wind shifts dictate. I usually opt for more room rather than snug places like Deep Cove when preparing for a blow, but I recognize that that is a personal choice rather than any assessment that one is better.
We are very snug on a wharf in Catalina completely protected on all sides so we feel very lucky (rough long sail to get here from St. John’s). It is still blowing 30-40 kn (highest gust = 43 kn) and slowly veering around to the west and expected to blow hard the next 10-12 hrs or so. Those west of us (where we were most of this season) sound like they are seeing more severe winds.
I am glad you were not on the mooring: I am generally skeptical of moorings and think it wise to have gone off to anchor. I am always far happier at anchor and it sounds like it worked well for you. Please report how the mooring field faired and what the gradient winds were like (and the gusts).
It also might be of general interest to Forum readers to hear how you prepared Shimshal and why you decided to be ashore. And what level winds you expected and how much change in direction. On the wharf, I had little more to do than add 2 extra lines and throw on the full complement of fenders: eight in all. Winds veered 270 degrees and generally blew along the wharf or blew us off the wharf.
My best, Dick

John Franklin
John Franklin
Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)
Simon Currin - 9/8/2019

Nova Scotia Hurricanes
See Flying Fish 2011-1 page 14
https://liveicomgrshot.blob.core.windows.net/occfiles/ffarticles/FF2011-1-franklin.pdf
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Thanks John I will read it properly when we get to Halifax. The Bras D’or Lakes do give incomparable shelter. Dorian generates a 100’ wave off Port au Basques!
Bill Balme
Bill Balme
Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)
Very interesting read John - thanks!

I think you got a little lucky - unlike Simon's recent experience - in that the Hurricane downgraded as it made it's way towards you. However, it really emphasizes that my plan - to run away and get out of the track is really not always possible - sometime's it's more sensible to find a spot, stay put and set up a robust anchoring solution. I feel that we are well equipped with 35kg Spade, 35kg Manson Supreme, Fortress FX37 and shore line's for whatever - but I HATE the discomfort and tenseness that I feel when the boat is under pressure, rolling at anchor and with lee shores everywhere in sight. These high latitude sailors certainly have my respect!

Bill Balme
s/v Toodle-oo!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search