Liferaft servicing and Failures

Author
Dick
Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Bill,
Initial thoughts on your question.
I write the below with offshore passage-making vessels in mind. There are different considerations for coastal cruisers.
I would venture a guess that Beth would no longer find the same percentage of cruising boats without a life-raft. She did (I believe) that survey quite a while back when the cruising community had a much different demographic. (BTW, what other preventative measures would you spend the money on were you to not buy a raft?)
I also suspect, that there is a good chance your raft will not be condemned, although some of the equipment may need to be replaced because of the water intrusion you report. Winslow makes good rafts that stand up.
I would very much hope you get no backlash for your question of whether to have a raft, as I believe questions like this are worth discussion. Either direction, a skipper’s decision should be well thought through and not one that is made “because everyone has one” or “the rules dictate” or “I can’t be bothered”.
There are, at least, a few arguments in favor of not having one:
Initial expense and the cost of servicing and the difficulty of finding re-packers.
The real estate for proper stowage/installation.
There are alternative procedures: such as always having an inflated dinghy on the foredeck with a grab bag handy.
I would also venture to say that the majority of cruisers who carry rafts might as well not do so for the following reasons. They do not have regular “drills” with their raft: drills where skipper and crew go over the launch/inflate procedure, review where a cut-away knife is stored etc. etc. Without these “drills” the likelihood of something going awry: skipper incapacitated, crew clueless, or some such, increases dramatically. So, their rafts might be in good shape, but their ability to be effectively used in an emergency is compromised. And it is not a given that rafts are in good shape. Many installation locations are problematic. UV can penetrate some enclosures and some allow water intrusion.
Finally, there is the argument that safety gear can subtlety induce skipper and crew to be less careful and also may discourage the kind of effort that might actually save a disabled vessel: panic leads to launching the raft and leaving a vessel prematurely. I believe it has been documented that crew has gotten onto a raft from vessels that actually remained afloat and would have provided much better conditions to await rescue and platform to be rescued from.
That said: I would argue, for most of us (offshore passage-makers), that good seamanship dictates carrying a raft. If your boat is no longer viable, it is the best platform to await rescue. I believe these days with EPIRBS that (again for most of us), awaiting rescue is the best way to think of abandoning ship. No longer are we thinking of long periods at sea or of rescue platforms needing to “sail” us into shipping lanes where we might be seen.
I would also say that rafts are important for single-handers, but would contend that the more crew a skipper plans to have on his/her passages, the more obligation there is for there to be a raft. To me the arguments for a raft, well-maintained and well stored, outweigh any arguments against.
That said they are initially difficult. I believe a case can be made that rafts should be stowed below, or in lockers etc. In other words, out of the elements and harms way. I have seen some center cockpit boats with good installations very well protected just aft of the cockpit. Any on deck installation has to be very robust: the farther forward, the more robust. To take just one area to consider: installations should be through-bolted with backing plates (never screwed). The deck, if cored, should have the area reefed and backfilled with an epoxy slurry, then re-drilled. UV protection in the form of easily removed canvas covers seems wise, which should help with water intrusion as well. In the end, if you can get the raft in a cockpit locker, you are likely best off. That is where Winslow with their custom packing is a big help. I would far rather see fenders (or other gear often stowed in lockers) on deck than a raft.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy
Bill Balme
Bill Balme
Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)
So I now have a quote for servicing my Winslow from the closest place to Whitehaven - in Guernsey! Just shy of £1200 plus probably £160 for shipping costs.

It feels rather onerous to be spending 25% of the replacement cost of the raft in order to keep it going! There's a good chance that there's absolutely nothing wrong with the raft. Is it also possible that by opening the thing up and then repackaging it, that one might be doing more damage to it than good??

It's a bit of a large nut to swallow and the Admiral and I shall debate!!

Bill Balme
s/v Toodle-oo!

Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)
Hi Bill,
AB in Guernsey is a good outfit: they did I nice job on my raft and I took it to them so was able to participate: quite a valuable experience.
I would answer your question: of course it is possible to do more damage than good (I do not know how likely, but I think the possibility of things going pear shaped exists and one danger is that you do not find the problem you made until when you need the raft).
If anything, I would probably say that, a raft stored properly (out of UV and kept from getting wet), that you would be better off going over a year past servicing date than doing it yourself. But, if memory serves, you believe your raft might be wet, so I would do it.
At a similarly irritated moment a few years back, I (quickly) wrote down the yearly expenses of items/gear/maintenance/insurance etc. that I hoped I would never have to take advantage of (see below) (some items are more now).
I consider these expenses as the entry price of my lifestyle: the dues so to speak.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy
Money & Safety
1. Insurance
a. $3000/yr (varies widely)
b. $100/yr Ins. Survey
2. Liferaft
a. $400/yr
3. Flares
a. $20/yr (if you keep old for back up)
4. MOM
a. $125/yr
5. EPIRBS
a. $75/yr
6. Fire extinguishers
a. $40/yr
7. Inflatable life vests
a. $15/yr
8. Horseshoe & Lifesling
a. New bag & horseshoe
b. $50/yr
9. One shot items ($175/yr amortized)
a. Jack lines
b. Harnesses & tethers
c. Lifejackets
d. Fire blanket
e. Fume detectors, propane & gasoline
f. Dedicated high water alarms
g. Emergency bilge pump systems
h. Strobes & battery operated flares
i. 2 personal Greatland lazar flares
j. Upgrade perfectly good VHF to DSC & dedicated GPS
k. ASB
i. Flashlight
ii. VHF
iii. Water & food
iv. Thermal protection aids
v. Radar reflector
vi. one large Greatland lazar flare
vii. Knife
viii. Misc survival items
ix. Liferaft repair clamps
10. Batteries for above, new every year
a. $25
b. Adds to $4,125
Roger Harris
Roger Harris
Gaining Respect (118 reputation)Gaining Respect (118 reputation)Gaining Respect (118 reputation)Gaining Respect (118 reputation)Gaining Respect (118 reputation)Gaining Respect (118 reputation)Gaining Respect (118 reputation)Gaining Respect (118 reputation)Gaining Respect (118 reputation)
Group: Administrators
This Ocean Navigator article by member Behan Gifford dates from 2014 but remains relevant: 'Life Raft Servicing'.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search