Tho PROPER YACHT - REFLECTIONS ON CRUISING YACHT

Author
Trevor.Martin
New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
jonall - 31 Aug 2019
I was very interested to read the contributions to this topic from Dick, Julian and David. In particular I agree with Julian’s contention that there are other alternatives to a heavy displacement cruiser such as a Malo or Hallberg-Rassy for blue water cruising. That said hi tech composite hulls are very expensive and may be beyond the reach of many cruisers. I also believe firmly that there is not a one size fits all approach to cruising yacht design when it comes to blue water cruising. This is why I recommended the Proper Yacht as it provides a range of designs for consideration by a potential purchaser with a careful analysis of the pros and cons of each design.Jonathan

There is definitely not a one size fits all, its what you are comfortable with and can afford, cruising isnt a science its a lifestyle and your boat choice tells alot about you.
Size really doesnt count or matter, ive seen people happy on 27 footers sailing the world, myself its an old moody 33 mk1 and happy as larry, steady, good seaworthy, safe and heavy boat.
And in todays sailing world easy to get in anywhere, no need to book in advance, like 11.5 + boats cruising.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search