Insurance USA

Author
Brian.Reynolds
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi
We have our boat on the East coast of the USA. Due to heavy losses, our insurance company (Topsail) have stopped insurance for the USA. How do others manage? Any other insurance agencies doing insurance in the USA? Can we use a USA insurance company? Can we do just third party insurance?
Thank You.
Brian Reynolds
INGA
Bill Balme
Bill Balme
Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)
Brian, Check out Markel Insurance - now part of Gowrie Group. We've had excellent service from them (including a large claim resulting from a lightning strike.

Bill Balme
s/v Toodle-oo!

Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)
Brian.Reynolds - 7/31/2019
Hi
We have our boat on the East coast of the USA. Due to heavy losses, our insurance company (Topsail) have stopped insurance for the USA. How do others manage? Any other insurance agencies doing insurance in the USA? Can we use a USA insurance company? Can we do just third party insurance?
Thank You.
Brian Reynolds
INGA

Hi Brian,
I have just called my ins co, The Gowrie Group, formerly IMIS, and they tell me they are aware of Topsail terminating contracts and will talk with you about possibilities. They are aware you are a UK boat, but not any other details, just that a UK boat might be calling. 410-827-3757. I work w/ Rachel, but I suspect that any of their people will do. Feel free to use my name as a referral and, since they specialize in cruising boats, you might mention the OCC.
Let us know how it works out.
My best, Dick (Richard more formally to the ins co) Stevenson, s/v Alchemy
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Brian
We are British and are cruising Canada and USA. Last year we switched from Topsail to the US Company Merkel (Gowrie Group) and we were very happy with them. However, we have been unable to renew with them as the law has changed and they can no longer write insurance for boats that are neither US flagged nor owned by a US resident. We shopped around and got an extremely competitive quote from Admiral Marine based in the UK.
Simon
Brian.Reynolds
Brian.Reynolds
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Simon Currin - 7/31/2019
BrianWe are British and are cruising Canada and USA. Last year we switched from Topsail to the US Company Merkel (Gowrie Group) and we were very happy with them. However, we have been unable to renew with them as the law has changed and they can no longer write insurance for boats that are neither US flagged nor owned by a US resident. We shopped around and got an extremely competitive quote from Admiral Marine based in the UK.Simon

Thank you all for the information. I will follow up the suggestions and report back.
Brian Reynolds
INGA
Hans Almqvist
Hans Almqvist
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
Simon Currin - 7/31/2019
BrianWe are British and are cruising Canada and USA. Last year we switched from Topsail to the US Company Merkel (Gowrie Group) and we were very happy with them. However, we have been unable to renew with them as the law has changed and they can no longer write insurance for boats that are neither US flagged nor owned by a US resident. We shopped around and got an extremely competitive quote from Admiral Marine based in the UK.Simon

I tried to fill in the form at Admiral Marine and when I got to the question of where my boat's home moring port is I wrote that the boat will not be mored there for the next 12 months.
This make the script crash with "You have an error in your SQL syntax;" 
Whwn trying to start over it immediately gives the same fault. 
Kind a bad.
/Hans
lawrenceclough
lawrenceclough
New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)
Just found out that GEICO will no longer insure boats in the Caribbean.   Scrambling to find a replacement carriers using my broker at IMIS.
Brian.Reynolds
Brian.Reynolds
lawrenceclough - 2/7/2020
Just found out that GEICO will no longer insure boats in the Caribbean.   Scrambling to find a replacement carriers using my broker at IMIS.

Hi Lawrance
I had trouble getting insurance for the East coast of USA. I am now insured through Admiral. I could not get a quote online bud did so by phoning.
Previously I was with Topsail and they stopped covering the USA but I think they still covered the Carribean.
Hope this helps.
Brian
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Brian
I am pleased you got sorted with Admiral. I got an unsolicited call from Admiral’s MD the other day and we chatted for an hour about insurance issues. He was very knowledgeable and informative.
Simon

Brian.Reynolds - 2/10/2020
lawrenceclough - 2/7/2020

Hi Lawrance
I had trouble getting insurance for the East coast of USA. I am now insured through Admiral. I could not get a quote online bud did so by phoning.
Previously I was with Topsail and they stopped covering the USA but I think they still covered the Carribean.
Hope this helps.
Brian

Michael & Anne Hartshorn
Michael & Anne Hartshorn
New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)
Hi,
we have been with Admiral since we left the U.K. in 2008 and they have been very good. Even with a very expensive rock in Maine that hit the keel. The change in Bluewater sailing insurance is due to the Underwriter’s, having had larger claims. Bluewater sailors tend to claim for loss of mast, grounding or total loss. So when they compare that against marina based yachts we are expensive. So it’s not going to get better, with larger yachts undertaking World Crusing, insurance companies are going to be harder to find and more expensive.
Michael, Joint Bluewater Secretary 

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search