Paper Charts: Admiralty Small Craft Folios

Author
John Franklin
Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Do you use Admiralty Small Craft Folio charts? UKHO has just announced that it is planning to withdraw them.

The UK Hydrographic Office (UKHO) has made the following announcement:

Following market research, the UKHO intends to withdraw the supply and maintenance of ADMIRALTY Small Craft Folios. However users, your members and/or customers will continue to be supported via a digital solution.

The intention to retire the ADMIRALTY Small Craft Folios is in response to the changing requirements of users and to increase the frequency of updates.

As an alternative to the ADMIRALTY Small Craft Folios, established suppliers in the small craft market will continue to be able to license data from the UKHO to serve those who do not wish to operate digitally.

You are requested to provide feedback to products.feedback@ukho.gov.uk before Friday 11 October 2019.

More information on how this will be implemented will be shared later in the year.

Please note – Standard Nautical Charts are unaffected.
Alan Leslie
Alan Leslie
New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
It's an interesting and on going discussion
An old sailor friend of mine, when I was first preparing to go offshore 20 years ago, when "gadgets" were just coming on line, used to say, that's all very good, but what will you do when it doesn't work?
I took that philosophy to heart regarding everything to do with passage making, not just charts and navigation, everything.
That's why I still plot our position on a paper chart with time, course and speed, still get out and dust off the sextant occasionally, and still have paper charts for places i intend to cruise. There is nothing like the luxury of an Admiralty chart that one can unfold and spread out in it's enormity to get a good look at how things lie. You can't do that on a chart plotter unless you have a ridiculously large screen (like land bound folk that watch the football and movies) which is totally impractical on any vessel smaller than about 100ft.
Yes we use electronic charts, C-Map, Navionics, free raster on Open CPN, Google Earth geolocated KAP files, why not? it's all available, some of it free, but what happens if the batteries fail, or the engine won't start to charge the batteries, or you're hit by lightning? These things happen. Paper charts and traditional navigation methods are insurance and I for one do not support the elimination of paper charts - folios, maybe, I've never bought them, I have Admiralty, SHOM etc official large paper charts and I don't want to give them up.
As regards corrections, I have some quite old charts that are well out of date but now unpublished. They are also a valuable aid in navigating unknown areas.
And lets not forget that the ENCs are based on the official paper charts, some of which are, especially in the Pacific, based on very old surveys, where the longitude, particularly can be miles out.
We need all the assistance we can get when navigating in distant waters and I for one would never give up on paper charts.
Best regards
Alan
Elyse

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search