Coppercoat

Author
alanfym
New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I applied Coppercoat in Sumer 2018 on my Najad 420. I found the best preparation (professionally done) was grit blasting to get back to gelcoat, and grit blasting provides a good keying surface tfor the Coppecoat, as well as following Coppercoat's preparation instructions. . Applied by myself and mates with a full time mixer and have had no problems with adhesion. Found it good in cool water (had it on my previous boat too) but the Caribbean requires more cleaning off I would say every 3 months or less, and scotchbrite is very useful here. No thin parts as put an extra coat leading edges etc, and was done by roller - not as good a finish as spraying but seems thicker applied this way. Would use it again as its an epoxy barrier to boot.
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)
Group: Administrators
alanfym - 31 Jan 2021
I applied Coppercoat in Sumer 2018 on my Najad 420. I found the best preparation (professionally done) was grit blasting to get back to gelcoat, and grit blasting provides a good keying surface tfor the Coppecoat, as well as following Coppercoat's preparation instructions. . Applied by myself and mates with a full time mixer and have had no problems with adhesion. Found it good in cool water (had it on my previous boat too) but the Caribbean requires more cleaning off I would say every 3 months or less, and scotchbrite is very useful here. No thin parts as put an extra coat leading edges etc, and was done by roller - not as good a finish as spraying but seems thicker applied this way. Would use it again as its an epoxy barrier to boot.

A friend used 'professional' grit blasting too. Sadly the wrong grit was used and the it removed the gelcoat too! Our old paint was scraped off by hand in 2013 when we first moved to Coppercoat.

After 5 years we hand sanded and did a successful DIY top-up application when in Newfoundland. Hard work for a couple but made easier by doing the starboard side of the hull on day 1 and the port on day 2. All went well.
Simon
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)
A SHOUT-OUT for our coppercoat.

We launched in Annapolis a year ago and got 6 months sailed through the Caribbean. The boat then sat for 6 months in a tropical Marina in Panama. When we left the boat we put plastic bags over the prop that had been treated with Prop Soeed.

We returned to the boat lady week and found the hull and prop in perfect condition.

To recap, our CopperCoat was first applied in 2012 and we did a top up DIY coat in 2018 after it got damaged by ice in the north.

Delighted with both CopperCoat and Prop Speed.

Simon
Joerg.Esdorn
Joerg.Esdorn
New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)
Thanks for the info, Simon.  I'm considering putting on Coppercoat next year.  What have you been doing to the bottom  during those 18 months - have you scrubbed it at all while in the water?  How was it when you hauled out in Annapolis?  Many thanks!  
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Joerg
Scrubbed each time we hauled since leaving UK in 2015 ( in Greenland, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia and Annapolis) . Very clean in Annapolis. Completely weed free on arrival in Bocas 6 months later. A very light scrub by scuba removing soft growth only and no barnacles. No other maintenance and no sanding prior to each launch (which is recommended by some). Since the original application the only time we have touched it was in 2018.

Simon
Joerg.Esdorn
Joerg.Esdorn
New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)
Simon Currin - 28 Oct 2023
JoergScrubbed each time we hauled since leaving UK in 2015 ( in Greenland, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia and Annapolis) . Very clean in Annapolis. Completely weed free on arrival in Bocas 6 months later. A very light scrub by scuba removing soft growth only and no barnacles. No other maintenance and no sanding prior to each launch (which is recommended by some). Since the original application the only time we have touched it was in 2018.Simon

Thanks, Simon.  Sounds like I should seriously consider it.  
Alan Leslie
Alan Leslie
New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)
After reading about many good expereinces, we're taking the plunge and doing Coppercoat in January in BoI Marina boat yard, Opua, New Zealand.....our normnal; antifoul just hasn;t worked well recently....hopefully this will be the answer, but....the answer lies in the preparation I believe...so, we'll see and will report results over time...
sv.the.dream
sv.the.dream
New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)
We’ve done it ourselves last year and are delighted with the results even in the rich warm waters in Brazil, French Guiana.
I’ve detailed our process including costs on few blogs that might interest you. Coppercoat was great clearing any doubt we had during the process and stayed in touch with us during the entire process.

https://www.svthedream.com/post/coppercoat-antifoul-treatment-considerations-part-1

https://www.svthedream.com/post/coppercoat-antifoul-treatment-preparation-application-part-2

I’m due an update with photos of the current condition but I can tell you I would do it again on a new boat.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search