Washdown pump recommendations

Author
Richard Hudson
New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I would like to get away from sloshing the anchor chain with buckets of water to clean the mud off when raising the anchor.   So, I'm looking to install a washdown pump system. 

I'm trying to figure out what size pump would be best.  I'm intending to supply the pump with water from a 1" hose (can be easily reduced in size), which is Teed to an existing seacock.  I'm on a 50'/15m schooner, and am cleaning up to 90m (300') of 7/16" (12mm) chain.  Since the engine is running whenever I'm retrieving the anchor, I'm not concerned about power consumption. 

I'm looking for advice from those who have a washdown pump system who are happy with using it for cleaning the anchor chain.  Specifically, I'd like to know: 
* what the flow rate and pressure of your pump is, or else the pump model
* if you're able to clean the chain as fast as it comes in, or if you often need to stop retrieving to fully wash the mud off

Thanks!

Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)
Richard Hudson - 11/21/2020
I would like to get away from sloshing the anchor chain with buckets of water to clean the mud off when raising the anchor.   So, I'm looking to install a washdown pump system. 

I'm trying to figure out what size pump would be best.  I'm intending to supply the pump with water from a 1" hose (can be easily reduced in size), which is Teed to an existing seacock.  I'm on a 50'/15m schooner, and am cleaning up to 90m (300') of 7/16" (12mm) chain.  Since the engine is running whenever I'm retrieving the anchor, I'm not concerned about power consumption. 

I'm looking for advice from those who have a washdown pump system who are happy with using it for cleaning the anchor chain.  Specifically, I'd like to know: 
* what the flow rate and pressure of your pump is, or else the pump model
* if you're able to clean the chain as fast as it comes in, or if you often need to stop retrieving to fully wash the mud off

Thanks!

pump, deck wash         2088-534-244    Shurflo Blaster    45 psi, 3.5 gpm, use for spare shower also                        mounted

Hi Richard,
The above pump has served for years. I sometimes wish for a bigger unit but nothing short of a fire hose would really satisfy me. Just be patient. And, no such luck, this pump is not powerful enough to keep up with chain retrieval: which would be nice.
I use regular below deck hose (probably ½ inch/12mm) going to a deck fitting and regular garden hose for the on-deck portion. Find a good nozzle that can do a fine stream: many are not up to a fine stream.
Ensure only a 3% or better voltage drop. The engine will be running but pumps are responsive to v.
You might consider a salt water spray at the galley sink linked to the same system/pump. These can save lots of fresh water when in nice clean anchorages.
A wash down hose where all chain is scrupulously clean before entering the chain locker is an important addition to a boat. Add the new generation anchors and the seabed that comes up with it and a potent stream of water becomes almost essential.
I am also clear that chain and anchor stored clean will last a lot longer.
Come back with questions/comments/etc.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy

Richard Hudson
Richard Hudson
New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)
Dick - 11/22/2020

Thanks, Dick, that's helpful. 

I hadn't thought about the importance of a good nozzle, and I'll pay attention to getting no more than a 3% voltage drop. 

If washing the chain with the washdown pump won't keep up with the speed of the anchor winch, well, at least it's faster than frequently stopping to fill the bucket :). 

Richard

Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)
Richard Hudson - 11/22/2020
Dick - 11/22/2020

I hadn't thought about the importance of a good nozzle, and I'll pay attention to getting no more than a 3% voltage drop. 

If washing the chain with the washdown pump won't keep up with the speed of the anchor winch, well, at least it's faster than frequently stopping to fill the bucket :). 

Richard

Hi Richard, Your post seems not to appear: at least for me. Dick
Richard Hudson
Richard Hudson
I had some cut and paste confusion in my earlier reply :)

Richard
Dick
Dick
Richard Hudson - 11/22/2020
I had some cut and paste confusion in my earlier reply :)

Richard

And much much easier on the back.
I usually have about 5-1 out. In the morning (in settled conditions) I often bring in the clean chain going to the bottom till it starts to get muddy with seabed. Letting it then sit hanging in the clear water, makes the next bit easier to clean when you get ready to depart.
Another use: Boats can get impressively dirty. If I knew it was going to rain, I would wash the decks and cockpit with salt water, rinse and then let the coming rain take the salt away. 
My best, Dick
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search