Suggested enhancements to the Fleet Map

Author
tomfb630
New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello. Whilst not exclusively a website matter, this does appear to be the most relevant forum for my topic which pertains to the fleet map and use of social media.

I'm raising this as a non facebook user, but despite my scruples about that platform, find that WhatsApp is too useful a tool to also throw overboard. I acknowledge therefore that facebook users may find my request superfluous. I'm also only a part time/occasional cruiser and so am not 'plugged in' to real world long term cruising communities with well established networks.

I intend to embark on a circuit of the middling latitudes of the north and south Atlantic this summer, to start and finish in the UK. In preparation, I have wandered around the OCC website to find out how I can best make contact with other OCC members en route.

The fleet map looked like a useful starting point, but from my perspective, both the map and the vessel data entry forms, lack some useful information.

I note from my own "Fleet Map settings" that there is an option to 'select fleet', but unless I am mistaken, vessels shown on the fleet map are not allocated to any particular fleet (or at least, such allocations are not displayed. I think it would be useful if they were.

Additionally, the 'vessel details' pop-up on the fleet map does not provide any information about the owner/skipper. I don't think this is simply because these details are not being provided by members - a random sample of around 10 vessels, revealed no such information is displayed (although the vessel's MMSI and callsign (where appropriate) is). I think It would be helpful if there was an option for owners to show their name and contact details on the fleet map along with a summary of their current cruising itinerary.

I also think it would be useful if each fleet was assigned a WhatsApp group so that members could share information with eachother. I have recently joined such a WhatsApp group for cruisers visiting Brazil and even though I am still at home, I am picking up useful information for my planned forthcoming visit

[I acknowledge that my suggestion to use WhatsApp rather than facebook as an adjunct to the Fleet Map is not without its drawbacks, but despite also being provided by Meta, it seems to me that WhatsApp groups are less prone to  communication excesses and privacy issues than are facebook communities.  Additionally, OCC members who use the OCC facebook page could of course continue to do so.

Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)
Group: Administrators
There are two versions of the Fleetmap. One is in the public domain and when a vessel is selected it only displays the information that is already in the public domain. If you log in to the Occ website you will then have access to the Member’s Fleet Map which sits beneath the Member’s Benefits tab. https://www.oceancruisingclub.org/members/fleetmapmembers
Clicking a vessel will now yield further biographical information and vessel information but please note these data are written by the member so there are voids. To see what is possible look up our boat, Shimshal.

A new feature is the favourite button which allows you to build your own personal fleet and we feel that this may be more popular than the regional fleets that were originally envisaged.

It is possible, programmatically, to allocate boats to regional fleets and we can explore that. We haven’t done it thus far because boats do move from one region to another and therefore frequent revision would be required. I will raise this with the web team.

The regional Facebook Groups have become very popular both inside and outside the Occ as too have WhatsApp groups. The Occ hasn’t expanded into regional WhatsApp groups thus far because there are already many in existence. All good groups (whether WhatsApp or FB) do need moderation to keep the spammers and we would be delighted to support an Atlantic circuit WhatsApp group if there is a demand and if there are volunteers prepared to moderate it. It would certainly be advantageous for those unwilling to join Facebook but it would compete with the existing OCC Atlantic crossing FB groups.

Do let me know if this is something you would like to explore.

Simon
tomfb630
tomfb630
New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)
Simon Currin - 30 Jan 2023
There are two versions of the Fleetmap. One is in the public domain and when a vessel is selected it only displays the information that is already in the public domain. If you log in to the Occ website you will then have access to the Member’s Fleet Map which sits beneath the Member’s Benefits tab. https://www.oceancruisingclub.org/members/fleetmapmembers Clicking a vessel will now yield further biographical information and vessel information but please note these data are written by the member so there are voids. To see what is possible look up our boat, Shimshal.A new feature is the favourite button which allows you to build your own personal fleet and we feel that this may be more popular than the regional fleets that were originally envisaged. It is possible, programmatically, to allocate boats to regional fleets and we can explore that. We haven’t done it thus far because boats do move from one region to another and therefore frequent revision would be required. I will raise this with the web team.The regional Facebook Groups have become very popular both inside and outside the Occ as too have WhatsApp groups. The Occ hasn’t expanded into regional WhatsApp groups thus far because there are already many in existence. All good groups (whether WhatsApp or FB) do need moderation to keep the spammers and we would be delighted to support an Atlantic circuit WhatsApp group if there is a demand and if there are volunteers prepared to moderate it. It would certainly be advantageous for those unwilling to join Facebook but it would compete with the existing OCC Atlantic crossing FB groups.Do let me know if this is something you would like to explore.Simon

Many thanks for the explanation Simon, I really should have spotted the members' fleet map but somehow contrived not to! I would be happy to be involved in setting-up/supporting an Atlantic Circuit WhatsApp group.
Tom
Sonia Johal
Sonia Johal
I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)
For OCC members, SY Salacia MMSI 211 636 270, Call sign 2IZN4, WhatsApp via +44 774 556 5556 volunteers to coordinate a central WhatsApp group and provide a UK 🇬🇧 contact point at least until 31st December 2023.

Thanks Tom and Simon,

I for one feel it’s a great idea and I keenly volunteer to help moderate it…

In particular, as I’m still prepping my boat from the Isle of Wight 🇬🇧 , I welcome any opportunity to give some thing back to our community…

If it helps, I now have a 5G aerial onboard, which guarantees a cellular signal while I’m in the UK or within and cellular range.

Finally, I’m investing in a least cost routing Iridium Certus backup satellite aerial, in advance my 2024 departure. I would also be happy to continue after my own departure while on my own journey.

As both WhatsApp and Facebook are so accessible for everyone to remain connected, with a growing number of users, I feel this could also be a life saver…

Many thanks for your kind consideration of my application for this role.

Fair winds,

Sonia
SY Salacia

tomfb630
tomfb630
Sonia Johal - 30 Jan 2023
For OCC members, SY Salacia MMSI 211 636 270, Call sign 2IZN4, WhatsApp via +44 774 556 5556 volunteers to coordinate a central WhatsApp group and provide a UK 🇬🇧 contact point at least until 31st December 2023.

Thanks Tom and Simon,

In particular, as I’m still prepping my boat from the Isle of Wight 🇬🇧 , I welcome any opportunity to give some thing back to our community…

If it helps, I now have a 5G aerial onboard, which guarantees a cellular signal while I’m in the UK or within and cellular range.

Finally, I’m investing in a least cost routing Iridium Certus backup satellite aerial, in advance my 2024 departure. I would also be happy to continue after my own departure while on my own journey.

As both WhatsApp and Facebook are so accessible for everyone to remain connected, with a growing number of users, I feel this could also be a life saver…

Fair winds,

Sonia
SY Salacia

👍
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)
Thank you both. I will ask Bill Heaton (of the Calico Skies YouTube site) to get in touch as he is in charge of our social media. We should apply the same governance structure to this WhatsApp group as we do for our FB groups. I will leave it between him and you both.

Simon

Thanks Tom and Simon,

Fair winds,

Sonia
SY Salacia

Sonia Johal
Sonia Johal
I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)
Thanks Simon ☺️
tomfb630
tomfb630
Thanks Simon ☺️

Ditto!
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Emily has now set up the OCC Atlantic Crossing WhatsApp Group and will promote it in the eBulletin and Newsletter. This is not meant to compete with our existing Facebook groups but to appeal to those who prefer not to use Facebook for whatever reason. If you wish to join the contact Emily on adminsupport@oceancruisingclub.org

Simon
tomfb630 - 30 Jan 2023
Thanks Simon ☺️

Ditto!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search