Seeking: replacement dome for Sestrel compass

Author
Genevieve.Millward
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,

I am seeking a replacement part for my old-style gimballed brass Sestrel compass which is frame-mounted on the binnacle. The dome is cracked and needs replacing. As these compasses are out of production I am hoping someone can help me to track down a replacement part or recommend a company that deals with this kind of thing.

Thanks in advance, I hope someone can help!

Genevieve
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Genevieve.Millward - 2 Mar 2023
Hello,

I am seeking a replacement part for my old-style gimballed brass Sestrel compass which is frame-mounted on the binnacle. The dome is cracked and needs replacing. As these compasses are out of production I am hoping someone can help me to track down a replacement part or recommend a company that deals with this kind of thing.

Thanks in advance, I hope someone can help!

Genevieve

Hi Genevieve,
I, too, hope someone can help.
Decades ago I found an old Sestrel tell-tale compass that an old-style compass adjuster put right. I love that old compass.
I would try to see if some of the old instrument companies still have offices: perhaps searching also those who still work with sextants and the like.
In the end, you might call some of the present compass manufacturers: you might get lucky with a matching size globe and the expertise to fix it.
Good luck: it is a project worth some effort.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search