Lisa Ballard Yacht insurance query

Author
Sonia Johal
I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Ahoy Team OCC,

I understand sometimes insurance can be more challenging for non-production or classic boats. As I just came across some answers to Lisa Ballard’s insurance questions I share it below, as it’s also proved useful for my Hanse production boat!

Plus who knows it might be of use to others…

————————

Hi Lisa Ballard

Just in case you’re still looking…

A) a friend of mine has just had their wooden boat insured by a USA 🇺🇸 company called “State Farm insurance”…

B) another with a classic boat suggested a USA 🇺🇸 company called “Haggerty US”… but not Haggerty UK.

C) it was also suggested the best way to insure custom, older models or classic boats is to contact both Marine underwriters in the USA and the UK. Apparently there are eight boat underwriters in the USA and two in the UK who mix and match their boat insurance criteria on an case by case basis.

Wishing you all the best with your own journey cover…

Fair winds,

Sonia
SY Salacia
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)
Sonia Johal - 24 Mar 2023
Ahoy Team OCC,

I understand sometimes insurance can be more challenging for non-production or classic boats. As I just came across some answers to Lisa Ballard’s insurance questions I share it below, as it’s also proved useful for my Hanse production boat!

Plus who knows it might be of use to others…

————————

Hi Lisa Ballard

Just in case you’re still looking…

A) a friend of mine has just had their wooden boat insured by a USA 🇺🇸 company called “State Farm insurance”…

B) another with a classic boat suggested a USA 🇺🇸 company called “Haggerty US”… but not Haggerty UK.

C) it was also suggested the best way to insure custom, older models or classic boats is to contact both Marine underwriters in the USA and the UK. Apparently there are eight boat underwriters in the USA and two in the UK who mix and match their boat insurance criteria on an case by case basis.

Wishing you all the best with your own journey cover…

Fair winds,

Sonia
SY Salacia

Hi all,
For some boats/cruisers, it is an option to purchase liability insurance and forego boat ins. One option is to put the yearly ins fee for the boat in a kitty to be used in an emergency: it may suprise you how quickly it can get level with whaat might be expected from an ins co.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy
Sonia Johal
Sonia Johal
I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)
Thank Dick,

I appreciate your thoughts… Saving money is indeed tempting… and I guess liability insurance is a valid option for those who have an alternative home…

Will you be at the Poole dinner? It would be great to have the opportunity to meet you in person 🌞

Grateful for your support and ongoing feedback,

Fair winds,

Sonia
SY Salacia
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)
Sonia Johal - 24 Mar 2023
Thank Dick,I appreciate your thoughts… Saving money is indeed tempting… and I guess liability insurance is a valid option for those who have an alternative home… Will you be at the Poole dinner? It would be great to have the opportunity to meet you in person 🌞Grateful for your support and ongoing feedback,Fair winds,SoniaSY Salacia

Hi Sonia,
Although I based my sailing out of the UK for 5+ years and I just returned from 3 weeks in Cambridge, I am, alas, based in the US and will not be at the Poole dinner. I hope it is great.
My suggestions were not only to save money, although that is always nice, but to suggest alternatives. I have friends who are entirely self-sufficient and who just can’t stand the thought of dealing with insurance companies. They got liability solely to be able to go into UK marinas.
My best, Dick

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search