Raymarine AIS 350 -> 650. Help needed

Author
Neill.Hogarth
New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello!
we are heading to Indonesia and have read that aa AIS sender is required.
We currently have a Raymarine 350 receiver and it appears we need to upgrade to an AIS 650.

Can any one help me with information about whether this is a straight swap and whether it will work with our E7 display and i70 Instrument
display?

Or maybe some one has a completely different and far better suggestion?

Thank you for any and all help.
Neill
sv.the.dream
sv.the.dream
New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)
Hi we have an AIS 650 transceiver (sends & receives so you don’t need the AIS350) and an AIS 100 splitter (that I believe it’s needed for the shared antenna with the VHF - you might already have this one).

We run an E7 chartplotter with i70 displays.

best of luck with upgrading your system and with your adventures in Indonesia 
Neill.Hogarth
Neill.Hogarth
New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)
sv.the.dream - 14 Jun 2023
Hi we have an AIS 650 transceiver (sends & receives so you don’t need the AIS350) and an AIS 100 splitter (that I believe it’s needed for the shared antenna with the VHF - you might already have this one).

We run an E7 chartplotter with i70 displays.

best of luck with upgrading your system and with your adventures in Indonesia 

Thank you. That is exactly our configuration so it is good to know that, at least in theory, it should work.
We have tried to order the AIS 650 but as normal, the suppliers do not answer emails.
Neill
Neill.Hogarth
Neill.Hogarth
Just an update.
We changed the AIS 350  to an GME AISS 120 as it was much cheaper. It all worked perfectly.
We also added a GME AISS 120 antenna splitter to use the antenna at the top of the mast. That also works.
And finally we added a YakBak (http://www.yakbitz.com/YakBak.aspx) which sends the AIS information to Navionics on our plotters.

Test sail was from Brisbane to Bundaberg.
A ship in the shipping channels called us by name to agree who was passing which side.
A tug with barge in tow called us out at sea to advise us that he had a long tow.
And we could easily see what the idiot who passed too close in high seas and at night was doing.

Definitely a good decision
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search