Solar advice

Author
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (616 reputation)Forum Expert (616 reputation)Forum Expert (616 reputation)Forum Expert (616 reputation)Forum Expert (616 reputation)Forum Expert (616 reputation)Forum Expert (616 reputation)Forum Expert (616 reputation)Forum Expert (616 reputation)
Group: Administrators
We are starting to look at the upgrades we need in readiness for a Pacific crossing next year.

Currently we have 2 x sp100 Solbian flexible panels which have been on top of our Bimini for 8 years and appear to be significantly less efficient than they were. I’m looking at replacing them and fitting another 2 on the Bimini as we have the space BUT each panel now costs around US$950! That would means nearly US$4,000 for 400 watts!!

I’ve been looking at the Sun Powered Yachts website https://www.sunpoweredyachts.com/shop and they seem to be selling identical panels ( SunPower® 100W E-flex solar) for US$179 each.

A line by line inexpert comparison of the specifications demonstrates very little difference. What am I missing? How can a seemingly identical panel be more than 5 times more expensive?

Anyway, it looks like we’ll be going with Sun Powered Boats! Any advice welcome.

Simon
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Simon Currin - 18 Aug 2023
We are starting to look at the upgrades we need in readiness for a Pacific crossing next year. Currently we have 2 x sp100 Solbian flexible panels which have been on top of our Bimini for 8 years and appear to be significantly less efficient than they were. I’m looking at replacing them and fitting another 2 on the Bimini as we have the space BUT each panel now costs around US$950! That would means nearly US$4,000 for 400 watts!!I’ve been looking at the Sun Powered Yachts website https://www.sunpoweredyachts.com/shop and they seem to be selling identical panels ( SunPower® 100W E-flex solar) for US$179 each.A line by line inexpert comparison of the specifications demonstrates very little difference. What am I missing? How can a seemingly identical panel be more than 5 times more expensive?Anyway, it looks like we’ll be going with Sun Powered Boats! Any advice welcome.Simon

Hi Simon,
We have had excellent dealings with Zamp Solar in the US for our RV needs. I am not sure how extensive their distribution network is but they answer their phones and have always been willing to spend time answering detailed questions when I have called, so even if their product is not available, they may answer some of your questions.
Zamp: 541-728-0924
Good luck and let us know what you find out.
My best, Dick

Michael & Anne Hartshorn
Michael & Anne Hartshorn
New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)
Dear Simon.
Sun power are the company that made the cells for a number of good quality panels. They started making their own around 2019.
In fact I bought them from Bardon in the U.K. as they had just started making them in France.
We have had them since on our hard Bimini and with the MPPT controllers they are very good.
As another recommendation, a friend has just mounted the same as his research this year proved they are very good and recommended by RV users in the US.

Regards
Michael.
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (616 reputation)Forum Expert (616 reputation)Forum Expert (616 reputation)Forum Expert (616 reputation)Forum Expert (616 reputation)Forum Expert (616 reputation)Forum Expert (616 reputation)Forum Expert (616 reputation)Forum Expert (616 reputation)
Thanks Michael and Dick,
I bought our Solbians from Bardon in 2015 but they seem to be out of stock of both Solbian and Sunpower. I’ll let you k ow how I get on.
Simon

Michael & Anne Hartshorn - 19 Aug 2023
Dear Simon.
Sun power are the company that made the cells for a number of good quality panels. They started making their own around 2019.
In fact I bought them from Bardon in the U.K. as they had just started making them in France.
We have had them since on our hard Bimini and with the MPPT controllers they are very good.
As another recommendation, a friend has just mounted the same as his research this year proved they are very good and recommended by RV users in the US.

Regards
Michael.

Simon Currin
Simon Currin
In answer to my question on price differentials I got some feedback from Sun Powered Yachts which I quote, “You do raise a good point about the OEM manufacturers (Solbian, Solara etc) and why their panels are so expensive, I almost fell off my chair when I saw a Solbian 70W panel recently for $739.00! There is no secret sauce, I can only assume their cost of production is much higher with smaller amounts of panels they produce. SunPower makes their branded panels in their own factories and does large production runs which helps lower the cost. Also SunPower gets to cherry pick the best solar cells to use in their own panels. They have produced a robust and durable panel designed to last.”

They have offered a 10% OCC discount and free delivery to our PO Box in Miami so this sounds like one of our easier decisions.

Simon

Simon Currin - 19 Aug 2023
Thanks Michael and Dick,
I bought our Solbians from Bardon in 2015 but they seem to be out of stock of both Solbian and Sunpower. I’ll let you k ow how I get on.
Simon

Michael & Anne Hartshorn - 19 Aug 2023
Dear Simon.

Regards
Michael.

Charles.Lenhoff
Charles.Lenhoff
New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)
Simon,  please check out this company which I've had excellent dealings with:

https://coastalclimatecontrol.com/solar

Good luck!!!

~Captain Charles 
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Thanks Charles.
Simon
Charles.Lenhoff - 24 Aug 2023
Simon,  please check out this company which I've had excellent dealings with:

https://coastalclimatecontrol.com/solar

Good luck!!!

~Captain Charles 

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...