PhilipH2
Congratulations. Electronics go down and you can still navigate. Superb. Cheers
0 link
Bill Balme
Administrator

7 days ago
Bill Balme
Administrator
So Yachtmaster Offshore complete, certificate in hand!

This was not what you'd call an intense course... My instructor, Keith only does this as a one on one or one on two class - so it's really not a classroom atmosphere. Personally I like that - though with a couple of sailors in a small space, inevitably we suffered some subject drift from time to time as we related our various experiences...

I liked that Keith is not a dyed in the wool RYA aficionado - and quite happy to point out some of the not so clever lessons they'd like to teach. We really kept the subjects going on a very practical basis.

I learned a lot - I reaffirmed much more. Weather forecasting has always been a huge weakness of mine - Keith brought me through that like there had never been a problem in the first place - Great!

Having grown up in the age of electronics, I'm not practiced at plotting courses on paper charts, doing fixes and DR, etc. and while I'd be surprised if I now start doing so, at least I have a much more complete knowledge on which to base practical decisions.

At the end of the course, when I asked Keith if he'd be willing to sail with me as Captain, he said he would. That's what I was looking for.

Enjoyed the course, looking forward to Ocean Theory at the beginning of January...

--
Bill Balme
s/v Toodle-oo!
Outbound 44 #27
+1 link
Daria Blackwell
Administrator

8 days ago
Daria Blackwell
Administrator
Bill,
Give us a periodic account of how things go. I think it would be helpful for people to hear what the RYA Yachtmaster qualification entails.

--
Daria Blackwell - Rear Commodore, PR Officer, Editor OCC Digital Comms & Port Officer, West of Ireland s/v Aleria http://www.coastalboating.net
0 link
Bill Balme
Administrator

13 days ago
Bill Balme
Administrator
I've finally decided I ought to learn how to sail - now that I've crossed the Atlantic a couple of times!

I start my first RYA course (Offshore Theory) tomorrow morning... I certainly hope I learn a lot of the gaps I seem to have! Early next year I'll have a go at the Ocean Theory - finally get to use that sextant that's been packed away under the aft cabin - might come in useful now that Theresa May has given away Galileo!!

--
Bill Balme
s/v Toodle-oo!
Outbound 44 #27
0 link