HomeWeather and Tide

All things related to weather & tide

Moon Messages in this topic - RSS

nadezhda

3/23/2013
nadezhda
Felicity always prefers a good moon on passage.

I prefer to keep my trousers on.
0 link
David Tyler

3/8/2013
David Tyler
Sailing in moonlight is much to be preferred, though starlight will do at a pinch. I propose to leave Hawai 'i in mid May, just after new moon, and will hope to reach Alaska before the next new moon. There shouldn 't be any tsunami debris still around on that route, but if there is, I 'd like to see it before I hit it.

--
David Tyler "Weaverbird" weaverbird22@gmail.com
0 link
Daria Blackwell
Administrator

3/6/2013
Daria Blackwell
Administrator
I love sailing in moonlight. You can see everything onboard and it is cast in a silvery glow. And you can still see the shooting stars when they pass through.

I agree with Bill that darkness is eerie. You can hear things and not see them. Soon you start to make things up. OooohOOoh.

--
Daria Blackwell - Rear Commodore, PR Officer, Editor OCC Digital Comms & Port Officer, West of Ireland s/v Aleria http://www.coastalboating.net
0 link
sveasygo

2/13/2013
sveasygo
Moon or no moon? In mid Atlantic on a clear night the stars light up the deck and if crossing to the Caribbean in November Venus is so bright that it competes with the moon. I do like to plan landfalls with the near full moon to see islands, mountains and other terrain.
0 link
BillonAdvent2

2/9/2013
BillonAdvent2
Both the stars and the moon rotate across the sky as the night progresses, so there is really no difference as far as a reference is concerned. The stars on a clear dark night are certainly beautiful, but I would much rather sail with a moon. I can see the boat, sails, water around me, etc. I enjoy it more. Sailing a dark overcast night is erie. Waves swish by. Can 't see them. erie.
Bill Doar
s/v Advent II
0 link
Bill Balme
Administrator

2/1/2013
Bill Balme
Administrator
Curious of you well travelled sailors... given the choice, would you prefer to make a long passage with realtively full moon or a new moon?

For my part, having a visible deck in a full moon is helpful - but a dark night certainly emphasizes the stars...

--
Bill Balme
s/v Toodle-oo!
Outbound 44 #27
0 link