HomeWeather and Tide

All things related to weather & tide

Global Weather Resources Messages in this topic - RSS

Hasbun

18 days ago
Hasbun
As I prefer to do most of the boat's forecasting in the iPad, I use "apps" (programs) more so than websites. Our current roster is, from more used to less used:

1. Ventusky
2. PredictWind
3. Windy (red) (the old Windity)
4. WindFinder Pro
5. Weather4D
6. Windy (blue)

The wind models offered by each program are as follows:
  • Ventusky - ICON, GFS, GEM, COSMO
  • Predict Wind - PWG, PWE, GFS, ECMWF
  • Windy (red) - NEMS 4Km, ICON 7Km, ECMWF 9Km, GFS 22Km
  • WindFinder Pro - "Forecast (based on GFS)" and "Superforecast (Hourly)"
  • Weather4D - GFS, NAM. GEMS, COAMPS, Arpége, Arome, WRF. Includes a lot of regional high-resolution models.
  • Windy (blue) - GFS - ECMWF - ICON 13, O-SKIRON, O-WRF

The gust forecast offered by each of these, available for at least some models, are especially welcome for the safety-conscious sailor.

An obvious downside of all these is that 10-12 miles from the coast, poof!, you lose your broadband and all these stop working, so save screen captures of any forecasts you wish to keep while offshore. Then it is back to Sailmail (GFS gribs) and "PredictWind Offshore" over SSB or Iridium GO!

I attach a picture of the icons of all these apps. Useful for people interested in the difference between the blue Windy and the red Windy.
edited by Hasbun on 10/29/2018

Attachments:
Nav Weather.jpg
0 link
Daria Blackwell
Administrator

21 days ago
Daria Blackwell
Administrator
As weather resources change and new ones are added all the time, I thought it would be useful to keep track of some favourite online and mobile sites. Most are for planning purposes. Frank Singleton's Weather Page has everything listed and keeps it up to date. Please add to the list resources you have liked.

edited by DariaBlackwell on 10/27/2018

--
Daria Blackwell - Rear Commodore, PR Officer, Editor OCC Digital Comms & Port Officer, West of Ireland s/v Aleria http://www.coastalboating.net
0 link
Daria Blackwell
Administrator

5/15/2013
Daria Blackwell
Administrator
The Cruising Information Section of the OCC website contains links to many relevant weather resources. I have added a few and created a pdf for download here.

[attachment=78]GlobalWeatherResources.pdf[/attachment]

--
Daria Blackwell - Rear Commodore, PR Officer, Editor OCC Digital Comms & Port Officer, West of Ireland s/v Aleria http://www.coastalboating.net

0 link