simoncurrin

all messages by user

1/21/2012
Topic:
West Coast of Scotland and the Faroe Islands

Simon Currin
Administrator
We are heading to the Faroe 's this summer and wondered if any other OCC members might be in the area? We will be heading north from Ardfern in early June and returning to Craobh Haven in July on board Shimshal. We would love to meet up with other OCC boats along the way. Simon & Sally.
2/21/2012
Topic:
Flying Fish on your iPad or Kindle

Simon Currin
Administrator
The latest version of Flying Fish can now be downloaded onto your iPad or Kindle from the OCC website by following this link

Or by logging on as a member to the main club website and by selecting "Publications" and the down loading the full 6MB PDF version of FF 2011-2
3/12/2012
Topic:
Shimshal

Simon Currin
Administrator
Shimshal is currently over wintering in Ardfern and will shortly be be moving to her summer mooring near Craobh Haven in Argyll on the West Coast of Scotland.
3/13/2012
Topic:
Antifouling for aluminium hulls

Simon Currin
Administrator
John, I 've no idea whether it works but my project for this winter was to make an ultrasonic anti fouling system. There are quite a few expensive commercial systems out there that promise much but with flimsy evidence. I bought a kit from Australia and have happily been soldering away. The cost of course was a tiny fraction of an 'off the shelf ' product. My guess is that it probably will have minimal effect but it 's been fun building it and I discovered loads about electronics on the way. I 'll keep you posted as to how it works (or not) but we will be using it on GRP and not aluminum. Needless to say despite the DIY ultrasound we spent last weekend painting the bottom with Interspeed Ultra!
Simon
3/13/2012
Topic:
Weather gurus?

Simon Currin
Administrator
We just loved Herb who we used a lot for the AZAB. It 's the way he gently chides you if you ignore his advice and end up in 'hilly seas ' with a strong blow. Fantastic for entertainment and the weather.
3/13/2012
Topic:
Al Shaheen

Simon Currin
Administrator
John thanks for that we are hoping to overwinter in Nova Scotia in a couple of years after when we cross westwards via Iceland and the West Coast of Greenland so it 's good to have a local recommendation for a yard.
3/13/2012
Topic:
Selden

Simon Currin
Administrator
"Selden are recalling forestay fittings 517-918 manufactured between 2004-2008 which have failed due to a crack in the welding. The crack develops along the weld on the rear side of the fitting inside the mast. It is not visible from the outside. All the failed fittings originated from long distance cruising boats with inadequate rig tuning and long periods of sailing using only the genoa."

How dangerous is this? On the Newfoundland cruise in July 2011, Glide was dismasted, which made us very wary suddenly, and when we hauled Al Shaheen out for the season we spent a considerable amount having the stays, forestays and all fittings checked. How often does this need to be done? There 's a generally held view promoted by insurance companies that all standing rigging should be replaced every 10 years. However, is this necessary? Would an effective inspection routine obviate this need? Does anyone have any views on the practicablity of ultra-sonic or radiographic methods of determining of testing rigging terminations, screws and chain-plates?
3/14/2012
Topic:
Antifouling for aluminium hulls

Simon Currin
Administrator
John,
No not scientific at all I 'm afraid. The trouble is I don 't have that much faith in my soldering iron to risk an early season haul out and paint when the ultrasound proves useless! And that 's been the problem with all the written up trials I have seen. None have been properly scientifically evaluated despite companies charging megabucks for some pretty simple electronics. In reality what I am hoping for is that it will keep the prop free of growth as it is mounted adjacent to it and, hopefully, increase the amount of time between haul outs. I 'll have a subjective idea after a year as to whether it 's made any difference at all. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Simon
3/14/2012
Topic:
Open Wifi Dangerous?

Simon Currin
Administrator
Maybe I have been lucky but I have never had a problem with open WiFi despite having used it pretty freely in recent years? I don 't think my computer is too infested with malicious software as a result.
Simon
3/14/2012
Topic:
Electric outboards

Simon Currin
Administrator
We have become firm converts to the new generation of lithium battery powered electric outboards. The battery technology gives them plenty of endurance and enough power for most displacement tenders. We have an inverter on board so re-charging is quick and easy but I understand you can use bespoke solar chargers though these aren 't cheap. The great advantages are that they are silent, very light weight and there is no longer a need to keep petrol on board.

Our Torqeedo 1003 has, on the whole, been very reliable but, during the second season an integrated circuit board in the battery blew. The dealer arranged repair under warranty without fuss but the UK service agency proved to be slow, unhelpful and arrogant. I hope that they get this glitch sorted as it 's a great outboard.
http://www.torqeedo.com/index.php
3/14/2012
Topic:
Raymarine Pilot Problem

Simon Currin
Administrator
We have a Raymarine inboard pilot with linear drive controlled by the S3g course computer and networked via Seatalk to an e120 plotter. We have developed 2 problems after 5 years of faultless use:

1. For no reason at all the drive disengages despite plenty of battery power and this can happen in all wind and sea conditions both under engine and sail. The system will reset and then do the same thing a few minutes later and that cycle can be repeated many times. It will then work faultlessly for days. It 's irritating, inexplicable and dangerous.

2. More recently, despite full calibration it screws up the heading data regardless of whether that data is coming from the Raymarine Flux Gate or whether it comes from a selected "go to" waypoint.

Anybody any ideas? My guess is that the course computer is the root of the problem. I haven 't tried Raymarine yet because I thought I 'd check out the collective wisdom of the OCC first. Any suggestions gratefully received.
3/14/2012
Topic:
Frank Singleton 's Website

Simon Currin
Administrator
For all issues relating to weather check out :

Frank Singleton 's Weather Website
3/15/2012
Topic:
Raymarine Pilot Problem

Simon Currin
Administrator
John that 's really useful. I have tried re-swinging and re-calibration so far to no avail. The S3G is now obelete too so I had come to the conclusion that the most reliable option was to buy a new course computer and send the old one back to Raymarine and, hopefully, get it fixed to carry as a spare. Not a great advert though for Raymarine. I wonder how many others have had problems with Raymarine course computers?
3/15/2012
Topic:
Facebook

Simon Currin
Administrator
The Ocean Cruising Club now has a very active Facebook page. It 's a closed group for members only. If we wish to join the group please click Ocean Cruising Club on Facebook
3/16/2012
Topic:
Raymarine Pilot Problem

Simon Currin
Administrator
So Robbiew have you had the same problem too?
3/16/2012
Topic:
Open Wifi Dangerous?

Simon Currin
Administrator
I knew there was a way to get full access to the BBC whilst abroad but never figured out how. That 's most useful. I see in the ActiveCaptain site they say a VPN is easy to setup. Is that your experience?
3/16/2012
Topic:
Snubbers

Simon Currin
Administrator
Mark,
I 've used a chain hook for about 10 years and never yet had a problem. The conditions you describe though do sound exceptional so I don 't really know how my system would hold up with sustained 50kn and, presumably, higher gusts?
Simon
3/17/2012
Topic:
Open Wifi Dangerous?

Simon Currin
Administrator
Robbie,
I think you 're way ahead of me I am afraid. Thanks though for taking the time to explain. I am sure others will find this thread very useful.
Simon
3/17/2012
Topic:
Facebook

Simon Currin
Administrator
Daria,
I have set up my signature using the Profile tab within the Newsgroup. Yes I guess anything posted on the Internet can be potentially be abused. I have no idea why it picks up your gmail signature as you are editing the post within the Newsgroup editor. Sorry not much help but I 'll have a fiddle around and try and figure out if there are any behind the scenes tweaks that might help.
Simon
3/17/2012
Topic:
Very highly detailed charts of Scotland

Simon Currin
Administrator
George tipped me off about the highly detailed Antares charts of the West Coast of Scotland. They have been compiled very professionally by some very dedicated amateurs and show some of Scotland 's finest anchorages in stunning detail. I have just received the 2012 edition on a USB memory stick. I have now booted them up on my iPad and have been browsing away. We will be testing them just as soon as Shimshal hits the water next month and will be reporting back on how well they work. Visit Antares charts for more details.
1234 ..29