Emergency Diving Kit

Author
JWeighell
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I recently picked up a small piece of netting half way between two islands in the Azores, cleared the net in a marina using the traditional mask, snorkel and much gasping. But then saw a Danish boat with the same problem but he had a small "oil free" compressor a length of pressure hose and a SCUBA mouth piece so he could work easily on the prop. Can anyone help with the specification of the equipment to do this as I fancy having this as an emergency kit option.

John Weighell

S/V Sleipnir
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)
Group: Administrators
John,
No experience of this but I 'd feel safer with a traditional bottle of compressed air (however small) and a contents gauge rather than being reliant on a compressor chugging away on deck. I 'd bet it would be cheaper too.
Simon
David Smith
David Smith
New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)
Sounds like you thinking about a hookah system. I looked at them they run off 12v or 240v or 110v, not cheap though. I would be hesitant using one with any form of BSAC/PADI training.

http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear/Hookah-Systems.html
morwood (Past OCC Member)
morwood
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: Past Members
We have a portable Brownies Hookah system: http://www.browniesthirdlunginfo.com/vs-hand-carry-portable-brownies-electric-recreational.shtml

It has been great for doing work on the props (adjusting the pitch on our variable pitch props as I tuned them) and cleaning the bottom of the boat. The couple of times we have hooked lobster pots or floating lines, I have not bothered to get it out, but it would certainly have worked fine if I hadn 't been able to clear the lines quickly with a snorkel. Running on 12 volts, you can 't go very deep with it, but for maintenance projects that is not needed.

As posted before, you should get some training for any compressed air system. Brownies does offer an online course as part of the purchase cost.

Mark.
Gian Luca Fiori
Gian Luca Fiori
New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)
The magazine Ocean Navigator published less than a year ago an article about DOY "Hookah" system. Cost $350. is what I recall. Sorry, I don 't have the issue.
I decided to buy a used Scuba equipment (BCD, Octopuss and 65Lb tank) and keep it on board. Cost $1000.
Gian Luca
S/V Vivaldi
archive
archive
We carry diving gear. BCD and tanks. Invaluable for all kinds of tasks including bottom cleaning, damage evaluation and repair as well as the sheer enjoyment of diving. Get trained - 350 euros or so. No need for a compressor - you can get your bottle filled at almost any dive shop worldwide on production of your diving qualification. $10
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search