ROCNA anchor

Author
jgbailey
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: Past Members
My Rocna anchor is fantastic, but it always seems to come up into the stem head roller the wrong way round. This looks like the effect of the water flow over it causing it to turn over. Does anybody else recognize this problem?
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Yes we have the same problem with our Manson.
Knightstar
Knightstar
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have the same problem with a delta, I always have to go forward to turn it. Hope you find a solution
jgbailey (Past OCC Member)
jgbailey
Group: Past Members
The good news. :)
I have just fitted what is called an "ultra swivel" which I can confirm turns the anchor over and appears to be a much stronger all round design and construction than the conventional swivels. So this should cope better with the sideways strains. Most swivels are tested in a straight line pull, which is useful, but does not reflect the sideways pull / strain put onto them at times.

The bad news, is that the "ultra swivel" costs a staggering £260. Golden Arrow Marine are the sole UK importers and are based in Shamrock Quay, Southampton.
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)
Looks good but I wonder what others in the OCC make of it as I know some have had various mishaps with stainless swivels?
Daria Blackwell
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
Here is an article we wrote about swivels. We cover the Ultra and the issues with swivels in the article.

http://features.coastalboating.net/Editorials/swivels/index.html

We do not use a swivel. I just talked to Alex about it, and he said that ours used to do that. So with an all chain rode and no swivel, Alex re-shackled it the opposite way around on the chain link and it solved the problem for us.

Vice Commodore, OCC 
David Tyler
David Tyler
New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)
I think it 's simply a question of how the chain is lying on the stemhead roller. My Rocna will come up the wrong way round, and have to do a quick flip as it comes over the roller, but only if there are twists in the chain. I suggest that with the anchor stowed, you look at the chain, and check that it is absolutely untwisted between the anchor and the gypsy. Then the chances are much better of the anchor (any anchor) presenting itself to the roller the right way round, after you 've set it and recovered it. I don 't think a swivel would help.
the Admiral
the Admiral
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
Have any of you come across a device called an anchor straightener? Seamark Nunn sell them in two sizes and in s/s or galvanised. I have not used one but have been looking at them for a while and think that it may provide a solution.

However, I am not keen on the restricted articulation that some of the swivels and other devices seem to afford and for that reason I am happy to stick with our large shackle.

Peter
Daria Blackwell
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
Hi Peter,
It 's still a swivel and it appears that it has parts that cannot be inspected.

http://www.seamarknunn.com/acatalog/anchor-straightener-stainless-steel-swivel-6-8mm-2240.html#.Um6gMvm-1cY

There is a discussion about it on the ybw forum. http://www.ybw.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-320799.html

Vice Commodore, OCC 
the Admiral
the Admiral
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
Hi Daria
I read the YBW forum comments with interest and I think that I am going to invest in a short length of floating line! I am a big fan of simple!! I might be tempted to have a solid bent bar made but this would have to be attached with shackles as I do not feel comfortable with any device connected to the anchor that does not articulate. I can just imagine the problems when the wind shifts or the tide turns.

BTW our Delta is fantastic but it 's performance is greatly helped by lots of 10mm chain. The only time it did not set well was when we managed to get a plastic bottle on the tip and it would not dig in. Other than that, excellent results every time.

I still can 't believe you put your name to a book called The Happy Hooker!

Peter
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search