Aleria - Bowman 57 ketch

Author
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Aleria is a center cockpit cutter rigged ketch designed by the legendary team of Holman and Pye who went on to design the first Oysters. She was built in 1976 in Southampton, England and semi-custom fitted by Camper & Nicholson. Each Bowman is slightly different in configuration. Ours has a an aft owner 's suite with queen berth and head. Forward are two separate two-berth cabins plus a second head. The forepeak houses a workshop. The saloon amidships is finished in Herreshoff style. Aft of the saloon is an office with computer desk, light table, and chart locker to port and the very efficient galley to starboard. The lines of the Bowman 57 are characteristic. You can pick her out in any harbour.

We have had the pleasure of meeting up with several Bowman 57s in our travels and have written two articles about the vessels for Cruising World:

http://www.cruisingworld.com/sailboats/boat-reviews/bowman-57-quite-the-ketch
http://it.zinio.com/page/?issue=416169380&pg=31&categoryId=cat1960028

We also have a considerable collection of original drawings and plans that we are willing to share with other Bowman 57 owners. Rival Bowman, who bought out the original firm, have no record of ever producing a 57 foot ketch. The Bowman 57 was one of the vessels originally featured in The Proper Yacht and was considered a "light displacement vessel."

Aleria has sailed previously under the names Manic Moment, Kestrel and Papagayo. She has completed at least one circumnavigation and three crossings of the Atlantic. She is a joy to sail and a very seaworthy and seakindly design.

[attachment=7]AleriaSingRv.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=8]CIMG2276.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=9]AleriafromAbove-ret1.jpg[/attachment]

Vice Commodore, OCC 
Attachments
AleriaSingRv.jpg (390 views, 33.00 KB)
CIMG2276.JPG (301 views, 20.00 KB)
AleriafromAbove-ret1.jpg (300 views, 22.00 KB)
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)
Daria, your boat looks fantastic.
Simon
Daria Blackwell
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
Thanks Simon, we love her! Can 't wait to see other people 's entries here. Good idea.

Vice Commodore, OCC 
Daria Blackwell
Daria Blackwell
I have started a Bowman 57 Group and a Page on Facebook where I am posting a repository of information I have collected about Bowman 57s over the years. Documents, drawings, specs, photos, articles, etc. If you have an interest in the Bowman, please join our group and like our page.

Vice Commodore, OCC 
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search