Iridium Go for $125/mo and unlimited data?

Author
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Has anyone tried out Iridium Go yet? PredictWind has a special package on offer.

The all new Iridium GO! will change the way you communicate offshore. Wirelessly connect up to 5 devices; smartphones, tablets and computers to the satellite unit to make calls, get forecast updates, email and even use social media. Watch the video for a brief overview:

Unlimited Data!
With Iridium 's Unlimited plan for only US$125/month you can forget about counting data and spend more time using it!

WiFi Connectivity
Connect up to 5 tablets, computers and smartphones using WiFi.

SOS Emergency Alert
Set an emergency phone number that can be contacted even without a device connected.

Integrates with the PredictWind Offshore App
•   Certified by Iridium
•   Download and View GRIB files
•   Run PredictWind Weather Routing
•   Receive GMDSS forecasts
•   View Satellite Imagery

Purchase the Iridium GO! Marine Package from PredictWind today and save 22% off the retail price. Included in the package is a wall mount, passive antenna, antenna adaptor and cable. This is unbeatable value for coastal and offshore sailors.

http://www.predictwind.com/iridium-go/

Vice Commodore, OCC 
David Tyler
David Tyler
New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
What 's not to like? Only the $,$$$ as far as I can see. Since my Yellowbrick went caput last year, I 've been sporadically looking for a replacement, and this would appear to be the one to choose.
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)
David,
Beware it was the Predict Wind forecasts I was sending you last year! Despite this we plan to buy one for our forthcoming Himalayan trip so will keep you posted.
Simon
David Tyler
David Tyler
New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)
I 've succumbed. I 've ordered the Iridium Go! marine package, and it should reach me on Friday. I haven 't bought any airtime yet, as it will take me a while to install it. I 'm just getting ready for next summer.
Daria Blackwell
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
Please let us know how it goes for you. Installation, etc.

Vice Commodore, OCC 
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)
David expensive airtime if you have to sign up to a 12 month contract! Do let us know when you have found the best airtime deal. It 's a shame the Yellowbrick died. I think I remember you having troubles with it early on?
Simon
David Tyler
David Tyler
Simon,
There aren 't any deals to be had on the airtime; the rates seem to be fixed, across the various suppliers of the Iridium Go. However, it 's a monthly contract, so I 'll start at a low rate, while I 'm getting used to the thing, and perhaps upgrade later when it should, I hope, be my only means of (very basic) communication offshore and away from Wifi and 3G/4G.

Daria,
I received delivery yesterday. First impressions are:
[ol]
[li]It 's a well-made piece of kit.[/li]
[li]It needs to be mounted on a horizontal surface, under a window, to get a good GPS signal, so the instructions say. The external antenna only supplies the Iridium component of the signal, not the GPS. I can manage this, having windows at a shallow slope at the forward end of my pilot house, over the chart table. When I first switched on with the Go on the chart table, it acquired a GPS position almost instantaneously.[/li]
[li]The cable to the external antenna is extremely thick and stiff. I can 't immediately see why it needs to be so, as it 's only coax. It 's going to be difficult for me to route it, either from the horizontal bar across the davits, where my other antennae are, or from the deck just forward of the hatch, another option. The Go is not acquiring an Iridium signal from inside the boat, so the external antenna is essential.[/li]

[/ol]
David Tyler
David Tyler
Update:
With the GO on the chart table, I 'm getting a good enough GPS and Iridium signal for SMS and tracking (which transmits as a SMS), with a short boot-up time. Not good enough for surfing mobile websites or voice calls though, which is where the external antenna is needed. I 've been trying the antenna temporarily fixed to the top of the davits, and I 'm getting a good, constant signal ,so I 'll just have to wrestle the thick cable into place for this position. I had a message back from Support saying that the thick cable is necessary, to reduce losses.

I 've sent and received test SMS - they come and go very quickly, just like an email over the internet. I 've also got an initial position onto my tracker map:
http://forecast.predictwind.com/tracking/display/Tystie
but don 't expect that to move, until after Christmas!
David Tyler
David Tyler
To pass from the davits, around the cockpit, through the engine box, down to the bilge and up to the chart table, the 30ft cable was just long enough, with an inch to spare. Larger boats will need the optional longer cables. The installation is now complete and fit for sea.

Unlike the Yellowbrick tracker map, the PredictWind tracker map does not allow me to attach a comment to each position marker. There are two ways around this. I could make a group of contacts, to send an SMS/email to; but this would require me to add manually any new contacts who request to be updated on my whereabouts and doings. Or, the Iridium iOS app facilitates direct postings to Facebook and Twitter. I can 't abide Facebook, so I 've set up a Twitter account for the time being, and anyone with the link https://twitter.com/tystie34 can now find and follow my postings, should they wish.
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
David,
We have taken the plunge and ordered one for our Nepal trip this Spring. On your advice we have ordered the marine aerial too for later use on board.
Simon
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search