Teak Deck Treatment

Author
Pelagia
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have been the owner of a teak decked sailing yacht for 12 years and have spent considerable time cleaning and treating the decks. Only in the past 2 years have I really discovered the wonderful qualities of Boracol. Halberg Rassy owners are probably well aware of the marvellous qualities of Boracol because that company promotes its use, but others may not be so familiar with the `secrets ' of this product.
I use Boracol 10RH, which is primarily a biocide for the control of lichen, fungal and algal growth on stonework and masonry. More recently, however, Boracol has been used as a treatment against mildew and spotting on teak decks. The recommendations from suppliers are:
* Make sure teak decks are free from surface water/ dry before application.
* Apply by brush or roller.
* Allow 3 days to `dry`.
*For best results the deck should not come into contact with rain during the `drying ' period.
After about 10 days things will start to happen, the mildew will disappear and will not return for some time (I apply annually) and the teaks will attain a beautiful pale silver tone.

My apologies if this treatment is well known and I am preaching to the converted. I had to learn the hard way!
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (611 reputation)Forum Expert (611 reputation)Forum Expert (611 reputation)Forum Expert (611 reputation)Forum Expert (611 reputation)Forum Expert (611 reputation)Forum Expert (611 reputation)Forum Expert (611 reputation)Forum Expert (611 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Completely agree Boracol works like a dream.

In the UK I think the 10RH is only sold to trade but the weaker strengths can be easily bought over the counter. It 's not hard though to get hold of the stronger stuff.

Simon
Pelagia
Pelagia
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Thanks for your reply Simon. I purchase Boracol B10RH through Channelwood Preservations Ltd, Cheshire. 5 Litres cost me £58 inc. VAT and next day delivery.
Tony
dcaukill
dcaukill
New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)
Anyone out there with practical experience of using SEMCO?

Its being peddled hard at me in the Caribbean
Daria Blackwell
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
I am chuckling about "allow 3 days to dry"... in Ireland we are lucky to get three hours. But it certainly sounds like a dream and I cannot wait to try Boracol on Aleria 's decks. With climate change, we are getting longer spells without rain.

Vice Commodore, OCC 
jgbailey (Past OCC Member)
jgbailey
Group: Past Members
"Patio Magic" is another product available in the UK from B&Q and most garden centers has the same effect and a lot cheaper. I spray my decks twice a year. No detrimental impact on rope or canvas.
Pelagia
Pelagia
Hi Daria - and I was planning on sailing to Ireland this year - you mean it rains all the time?
Tony `Pelagia '
Daria Blackwell
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
Hi Tony, no not all the time. But most days it rains a little, that 's why so many rainbows. We have very changeable weather - we are in the Atlantic - which makes it particularly beautiful and moody. The last few summers have been remarkably kind weather wise, with warm temps and little rain esp. in July. Attributed to climate change and favourable NA drift. If you do sail our way, please come and see us in Clew Bay. I promise it will take your breath away. Our boat is on a mooring inside near Westport and you are welcome to raft up with us if we are there. Mayo Sailing Club also has guest moorings. The islands offshore are very special. We are the POs for the west, so if you have any questions, please shoot them over. We are more than happy to introduce people to what we love so much out here.

Vice Commodore, OCC 
Pelagia
Pelagia
Thanks for your assertions regarding the Irish West coast weather etc Daria. We have sailed to Ireland before and were probably spoilt by having high pressure over us for almost a month (must have been summer 2001). This year we plan on Scilly to Baltimore and then round the corner and up towards Dingle. We probably won 't have enough time to meet up with you in Clew Bay but you never know! The whole area sounds lovely and I 'll certainly give you a warning should we venture further North.
John Franklin
John Franklin
Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)
Back to the subject, teal deck treatment!

Does anyone have any advice on non- chemical methods of cleaning teak? Al Shaheen is aluminium painted with Awlgrip and I am very loath to use chemical preparations that might interact with the paintwork. In my case the teak is confined to the cockpit sole, seats and surrounds as well as the cap rail.

John
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search