Volvo Ocean Race Finale Galway July 2012

Author
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
Group: Administrators
The Volvo Ocean Race finale in Galway takes place June 30-July 8, 2012. It 's an eight day festival and it promises to be spectacular. As it is the last port of call, the sponsors are pulling out all the stops.

We were there for the stopover in 2009 and wrote about the experience. You can read the story here: http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/news/09/0618/. Mayo sailing club had 30 boats there. We will have almost as many again this year, although Northabout will be missing as they are heading to St. Petersburg this summer. There is a race schedule for visiting yachts.

The schedule of events has been posted. More information here: http://www.letsdoitglobal.com/en-gb/galwayevents.aspx?selecteddate=20110701.

Several dhows are being delivered in a container to Galway and will be racing against Galway Hookers on 30 June. As the dhows are built for light air, which is rare in this part of the world, we are expecting quite a spectacle.

The VOR in-port races are scheduled for 6 July (pro-am) and 7 July (in-port race) with 8 July as a reserve day. They will be visible from on shore along the Promenade at Salt Hill.

We have it on good advice that the US embassy is planning a July 4th Fireworks display and party! The Global Village will be celebrating each of the stopover nations all week. There are many concerts with top name acts planned -- all free to hear at the waterfront. It 's a real week-long party Irish style.

As Galway is a fantastic venue anyway, this promises to be an event not to be missed. And it 's a great excuse to visit Ireland. Aleria (Bowman 57 ketch) will be in the inner harbour, most likely tied up to the new pontoon along the harbour wall. If you are planning to come to Galway by land or by sea, please let us know or stop by and see us.

Vice Commodore, OCC 
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search