Electric outboards

Author
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (607 reputation)Forum Expert (607 reputation)Forum Expert (607 reputation)Forum Expert (607 reputation)Forum Expert (607 reputation)Forum Expert (607 reputation)Forum Expert (607 reputation)Forum Expert (607 reputation)Forum Expert (607 reputation)
Group: Administrators
We have become firm converts to the new generation of lithium battery powered electric outboards. The battery technology gives them plenty of endurance and enough power for most displacement tenders. We have an inverter on board so re-charging is quick and easy but I understand you can use bespoke solar chargers though these aren 't cheap. The great advantages are that they are silent, very light weight and there is no longer a need to keep petrol on board.

Our Torqeedo 1003 has, on the whole, been very reliable but, during the second season an integrated circuit board in the battery blew. The dealer arranged repair under warranty without fuss but the UK service agency proved to be slow, unhelpful and arrogant. I hope that they get this glitch sorted as it 's a great outboard.
http://www.torqeedo.com/index.php
Daria Blackwell
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
Thanks for this information Simon. We have been eyeing the Torqeedo for several years. How long can you actually go on one charge?

Vice Commodore, OCC 
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (607 reputation)Forum Expert (607 reputation)Forum Expert (607 reputation)Forum Expert (607 reputation)Forum Expert (607 reputation)Forum Expert (607 reputation)Forum Expert (607 reputation)Forum Expert (607 reputation)Forum Expert (607 reputation)
It depends hugely on the type of tender, amount of load and speed. For instance, in our super sleek and light weight rowing boat we can easily go 6nM on one charge in flat water.

Our RIB tender is very much less efficient to row and to power. On the tender we use it at higher speeds because it 's easy enough to recharge on board Shimshal. In these circumstance a couple of miles is probably what we average but the reality is that most trips ashore in normal cruising are very short and one charge lasts for many days. The built in gps gives you real time feedback about energy consumption, speed and range so you get loads of warning of when the power is going to be cut.

Any anxieties you have about range will quickly be offset by silent motoring and the ease with which it can be passed up from tender to pushpit. It 's a very well designed piece of kit and the only caveats I have are mentioned in the first post in this thread.
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
A brief update on the Torqueedo. Our lithium battery failed at the start of it 's third season. As it is now out of warrranty we bit the bullet and replaced it at considerable cost. Despite the damage tothe wallet it really is a pleasure to use this light, quiet and well designed piece of kit.
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (894 reputation)Forum Expert (894 reputation)Forum Expert (894 reputation)Forum Expert (894 reputation)Forum Expert (894 reputation)Forum Expert (894 reputation)Forum Expert (894 reputation)Forum Expert (894 reputation)Forum Expert (894 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Simon,
Thanks for the field reports. I am eyeing a Torqeedo for my nesting rowing dink (with a good slippery hull) and quite like what I have heard. Even with your reported troubles, I believe it makes sense for us.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Dick,
Ours completely gave up the ghost last season but we found it so good we replaced it and I am glad we did as the new model has had some of the weaknesses ironed out.
Simon
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (894 reputation)Forum Expert (894 reputation)Forum Expert (894 reputation)Forum Expert (894 reputation)Forum Expert (894 reputation)Forum Expert (894 reputation)Forum Expert (894 reputation)Forum Expert (894 reputation)Forum Expert (894 reputation)
Hi Simon,
I am sorry that you had to do some of the R&D for Toqueedo. I suspected from reading their literature that some of the kinks had been ironed out, but it is nice to have that confirmed. Was there an outfit in the UK for Torqeedo that you felt gave good service?
Thanks, Dick
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
We used Chatity & Taylor but their estimate for repairing the old one prompted us to replace rather than repair.
Dick
Dick
Hi Simon,
Thanks for the info. Do you have a go-to guy in the shop? I always like to deal with people when possible. Also, I suspect you got the 2.0 T short shaft. Is that correct? Are there any option/accessories that one should consider?
Thanks, Dick
Dick
Dick
Simon, Sorry, More likely the 1003? Dick
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search