NET FOR CROSSING ATLANTIC

Author
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
Group: Administrators
A MORNING NET FOR THE ATLANTIC CROSSING BOATS . . .
ANGEL LOUISE will continue the NET that DAN Started for the OCC EAR, identifying ourselves as the TRADEWINDS NET. . . and log on every morning at 09:00 UTC from tomorrow on ... using 8140 for the Frequency...
Although we are OCC members, in the tradition of cruisers, we hope
others can join in too ... the more the merrier so feel free to invite
others you meet...
It is a long crossing and the social interaction is wonderful.
(Thanks Gavin and Georgie, and thanks to all of our OCC friends. Gavin is starting a NET at 1700 daily on 4027 Monday.)
Ed and Sue on USSV ANGEL LOUISE - lying Madeira till 20 November

Vice Commodore, OCC 
neilm
neilm
New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
What is happening these nets now?
For the crossings, all that is really needed is a publicized frequency and time each day. If a net controller is necessary due to congestion, then one will evolve
The 4027 frequency is good because it gives sufficient range, but not too much.
I think it would be useful if OCC simply published a frequency and time for vessels on, say, Atlantic crossings.
We made such an arrangement in a bar in Bermuda on our last crossing and it worked fine
Daria Blackwell
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi Neil,
There 's been a note on the OCC website home page for a couple of months now. There is also a listing of all nets that is being maintained via the OCC Facebook page.
Cheers,
Daria

Underway The Ocean Cruising Club Caribbean Long Range (SSB) Radio Net

John Lytle OCC Caribbean SSB NetAt 0730 (1130 GMT) on 6227khz USB every weekday from December until May/June many OCC members cruising in the Caribbean tune their radios to the OCC Caribbean Net. The format is simple and friendly. After a short introduction the net controller asks for members to “check in”. Firstly priority traffic for members with safety or security issues and then each member has an opportunity to give briefly their location, share information about their passage, weather or anchorage, ask for help or advice or anything else they wish before the net controller moves on to the next “check in”.

Members wanting to make contact with another member can announce this and either wait till the net is over or move to another frequency. The Net has become the voice of the Club and many members participate on a daily basis and over the last winter season approaching 100 members used the net.

The net has served many functions since its inception by Mike Pocock in 1999 during his Commodore’s Millennium North Atlantic Cruise. It allows members to know who is in their area so they can meet, arrange social events, or discover what other members are doing. Those with medical or technical or other problems can seek assistance, and there is usually another member who can help or will know where help or advice can be found. Single handers or those on long passages can check in daily and weather routing has been organized.

The importance of the Net cannot be over emphasized and having a good SSB radio transceiver is an enormous asset for any ocean cruising yacht. Anyone planning a long cruise would find an SSB radio an enormous asset and should seek expert advice about choice of set and installation. For further information contact john@lytlenf.com.

John Lytle, Roving Rear Commodore

Vice Commodore, OCC 
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search