Compatible Bottom Paints

Author
Bill Balme
Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
If you don 't know what the previous owner used on the bottom of the boat, how do you know if the stuff you 're about to put on is compatible?

Last year I put some expensive Micron 66 on the bottom of Toodle-oo! It did well, I was happy when she was hauled last year... but... in reviewing it this Spring, I see that much of the bottom paint is now flaking off. Is this because of an incompatible previous coat, or perhaps because the Micron 66 has dried out over the winter and is now flaking. (Yes, I wish I had paid closer attention last year when she came out of the water...)

If paint is incompatible with the previous layer, does it show that fact immediately upon application?

Thanks,

Bill Balme
s/v Toodle-oo!

Bill Balme
Bill Balme
Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)
The previous owner has informed me that he used Micron 66 too. Therefore I should not have a compatibility issue...

When she came out of the water last year, I didn 't notice anything untoward - but now, 6 months of being high and dry, what remains of the Micron 66 is flaking off. I therefore suspected either incompatibility or poor preparation. Since I 've apparently eliminated the incompatibility problem, it would seem to be bad prep - UNLESS Micron 66 tends to flake when it dries out? (Seems odd.)

Bill Balme
s/v Toodle-oo!

Bill Balme
Bill Balme
We 've bitten the bullet - heading to soda blast the bottom back down the the barrier coat, add a couple coats of new barrier coat and then a nice new covering of Micron 66. What a pain!

The boat is only 5 years old, so it 's surprising that I find myself in this predicament so early - but it 's because of a misapplication at some point in her past. Now I just have to make sure I don 't go adding more than I need to each year (or whenever)... How does one judge when it 's time for new antifouling - or are you like me and throw another coat on each year?

Bill Balme
s/v Toodle-oo!

Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)
Group: Administrators
If you are taking off all the old stuff why not try coppercoat?
Bill Balme
Bill Balme
That 's an interesting idea Simon and I looked at it this morning... Little concerned that I can 't find a good report on a trial with it. It would certainly ease the maintenance and annual haul routine while living aboard...
Does anyone else use Coppercoat or a similar system?

Bill Balme
s/v Toodle-oo!

Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Elsewhere in the Forum RobbieW and Daria have commented on coppercoat .http://forum.oceancruisingclub.org/28-corrosion-a-antifouling/155-coppercoat-and-other-epoxy--copper-antifouling

We are certainly thinking seriously about it within the next year or two. We have friends that have had great success. Our boat, like yours, now has 6 seasons worth of Interspeed Ultra on it and I suspect all will need to come off in a year or two so that will be the time for us to take the plunge.

In the UK costs of hauling and painting are increasing substantially so it 's starting to look more attractive financially. The tests I have seen published aren 't very scientific but they do seem to bequite favorable.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search