ROCNA anchor

Author
peterpaternotte
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Daria,this comment is relatively late but I just came across the Forum topic. Being an early Rocna adept (following decades with CQR 's) I did some 'swivel research ' and ended up with the Wasi-Ball, very much like the Ultraswivel. It served us well for many years. You do not mention it but is has been around for 5-6 years now. Price indeed stiff, like the Ultra. Maybe something for the next printing of HH?
jgbailey (Past OCC Member)
jgbailey
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: Past Members
I purchased the ultra swivel last year for my Rocna and can confirm the combination works very well. We were away for a few months this season and anchored more times than for a many a year.

I never felt that confident with the CQR. Lessons learned for me; good easy to use equipment might cost a bit more in the initial stage, but saves a lot of ongoing costs in marina and moorings.

Anybody want to buy a CQR?
Daria Blackwell
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
Group: Administrators
After all these years of refusing to use swivels and collecting photos of bent and broken swivels, we have now been convinced that the Ultra swivel is indeed a much improved and well engineered device. We had the opportunity to "play" with a demo set up at a boat show where Ultra was exhibiting. We spent a good deal of time inspecting it and watching it work in slow motion and talking to people who understand the engineering aspects.

The Ultra Flip Swivel has a unique design that works with any anchor to rotate it BEFORE it comes up over the bow roller if it is coming up in the worn orientation. It allows the ball to rotate freely, you can inspect all the parts (except one which I 'll discuss in a moment), and all the parts can dry out. That 's very important. http://www.ultramarine-anchors.com/en/homepage/default/10/swivel-detail

The only potential problem area that we can see is eventual wear in a Teflon o-ring that 's between the ball and the body of the swivel. As stated in their promotional literature "Our internal TEFLON O-Ring stops metal friction occurring when under load providing low resistance and smooth operation." The o-ring is intended to prevent the metal to metal friction that would occur as the ball rotates. We could not see this o-ring so we could not inspect it. The Ultra swivel has a 3 year warranty. I 'd say that may be the life of the o-ring. Just something to keep in mind. Otherwise we were very impressed with the design and engineering of the Ultra Swivel. It carries Turkish Lloyd certification.

We have not had the opportunity to test the WASI Power Ball but it does seem to offer excellent construction and a breaking load higher than that of the corresponding chain. It is approved by the German Lloyd which may have insurance implications. http://www.wasi.de/en/news/press-releases-and-news-from-wasi/news-details/haerteste-anforderungen-edelstahl-verbindungselemente-im-maritimen-einsatz.html

The best possible set-up if you feel you need a swivel and you have a standard bullet type swivel is to insert a few links of chain between the swivel and the anchor to ensure that lateral forces cannot be applied across the axis of rotation.

If you don 't know you need a swivel, you probably don 't need one. If you relate to the picture below, then a swivel may change your anchoring experience dramatically. While we were at the Ultra stand, many petite women stopped in front of a poster with this picture and said out loud, "We need that honey!"

[attachment=172]UltraSwivel.jpg[/attachment]

Vice Commodore, OCC 
Attachments
UltraSwivel.jpg (351 views, 33.00 KB)
Daria Blackwell
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
[quote="peterpaternotte" post=1651]Hi Daria,this comment is relatively late but I just came across the Forum topic. Being an early Rocna adept (following decades with CQR 's) I did some 'swivel research ' and ended up with the Wasi-Ball, very much like the Ultraswivel. It served us well for many years. You do not mention it but is has been around for 5-6 years now. Price indeed stiff, like the Ultra. Maybe something for the next printing of HH?[/quote]

Yes, thanks Peter, we are planning a new edition of Happy Hooking, and we will be updating many sections including swivels. Thanks for the info on the WASI Ball.

Vice Commodore, OCC 
Daria Blackwell
Daria Blackwell
We have just had the opportunity to test the new Vulcan anchor from Rocna. It was designed without a roll bar to fit bow rollers of power vessels. It has a significantly larger surface area than the Rocna or even the Ultra. It performed exceedingly well as described in an article we wrote about our experience.

http://cruising.coastalboating.net/Seamanship/Anchoring/Vulcan/index.html

Vice Commodore, OCC 
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)
Hi All,
A word of warning:
There is accumulated evidence that Rocna anchors have trouble re-setting in a significant wind shift. The evidence is most dramatically displayed on the excellent videos cited elsewhere in this stream (specifically: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL9JL9AK6ss), but there is numerous anecdotal evidence as well. This whole package of concern is best brought together on the web site Attainable Adventures Cruising (https://www.morganscloud.com/), an extremely valuable web site for those that wander widely on sailboats. It costs a modest amount, but is worth every penny.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy
mina
mina
Occasionally my Rocna comes up back to front. If it happens twice in succession I turn the chain in the gipsy through 180 degrees and end of problem for a while.
Alex Blackwell
Alex Blackwell
Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)
Mina
Instead of turning your chain in the gypsy(capstan), you might consider unshackling and turning the shackle. That way you do not bring a twist down below-decks that can bite you at some point in the future.
Though we are not proponents of swivels, we have been testing and using the Ultra flip swivel now for over a year. it forces the anchor to twist into the correct orientation as it passes over the bow roller.
I can give you a link to a discussion on swivels if interested.
mina
mina
Re the warning about Rocnas losing grip and dragging on wind shifts, all I can say is that after years of suffering from having to re-lay 1:4 times and many dragging incidents with my CQR, I have deployed my Rocna 100s of times over 7 years in every type of floor and conditions including many wild anchorages in the Beagle Channel where you get 50+knot williwaws screaming in at 90 degrees from previous wind angle. I have to re-lay only about 1 in 50 times now and , touch wood - crossed fingers, my Rocna has NEVER dragged. Granted it is a tad overweight at 40 kg for a 48 ft boat, but my Rocna has been a life-changer for us.
Tim Barker
Mina2.com
mina
mina
Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated, but like you I am not a fan of swivels and I 've been using the occasional but very quick 90 degree twist for many years, happily without being bitten yet!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search