Taming the downwind whisker pole

Author
Dick
posted 7 Nov 2016 HOT
Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi all,
The “Taming” in the title is likely a bit strong, but it seemed to fit my intent if not perfectly the result. Too many of us cruisers, in my observation and experience, are wary of our whisker pole and do not use them at all or rarely. This is a shame as they can be extremely useful. I would hope the following to be of use to those who shudder with apprehension when they think “This would be a good time to deploy the pole”.
As always, please come back with questions or comments.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy
Attachments
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)
Perhaps it is obvious, but the article is an attachment. Dick
David Tyler
David Tyler
New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)
UK sailors wishing to make a whisker pole similar to Dick 's can find a suitable tube athttps://www.carbonfibreprofiles.com/. They sell tubes of 60mm and 80mm diameter, in both CFRP and GRP, up to 6 metres in length. These contain mostly longitudinal pultruded fibres, but also have an appreciable diagonal fibre content. This makes them very robust and resistant to the kind of abuse that Professor Murphy will subject them to, when he decides to lend a hand on the foredeck. I use the GRP tubes as battens and yard in my junk rig.
Dick
Dick
Hi David, That looks like a great resource: thanks for the heads up. I would also check with a knowledgeable rigger about wall thickness and diameter. He/she might also have (or be able to get) the lightweight end fittings so a good match is made. And, if your boat is like mine, definately plan for Professor Murphy to be a member of the crew. Dick
David Tyler
David Tyler
New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)
You 're welcome!

Nevertheless, we who sail under headsail-free rigs (Freedom, Nonesuch, Tanton, Wylie ... did I forget anyone? oh yes, junk rig of course) will continue to be mystified and bemused that such a big production number has to be made of a simple thing like sailing downwind;)
Dick
Dick
Hi David,
Understood. Someday, if I am lucky, you will have to take me sailing and educate me. Dick
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search