Dutchman Sail Flaking system

Author
jgbailey
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: Past Members
I am considering buying the Dutchman Sail flaking system which was developed and marketed in the USA. Can anybody give any references as to its fitness for purpose? The demo shows it working well in light airs only. Any experiences that can be share would be welcome.
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi John,
I am a 2 fall lazy jacks guy myself (full batten main) as this entails no mods to the mainsail and seems less “fussy” or prone to problems and checks all the boxes for me. Also, one can completely enclose the sail when on the boom so no moisture intrudes in a way that is hard to ensure with the guide lines in the Dutchman system
That said, those cruisers I know with the Dutchman have all been happy with the system and felt like it made their life easier. I can put you in touch with cruisers who have used the system for years if you wish.
Let us know what you decide and the criteria that were important to you.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy
jgbailey (Past OCC Member)
jgbailey
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: Past Members
Dick / Ginger, would be interested in getting in touch with some people who have the system.
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)
Hi John, On the road and without addresses. Please write me off-forum (so I have your address) and I will hook you up with someone who has Dutchman and lots of experience. My address is alchemy128(at)gmail.com. Dick
dmcantor
dmcantor
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
We used the Dutchman system on a 30' Pearson, and found that it worked very well.  It takes a bit of adjusting at first to get the vertical lines just right, but then is pretty much maintenance free.  The sail comes down with no effort, perfectly flaked, in most wind conditions.  We found it helpful to head upwind while dropping the sail, but it's not strictly necessary. It does make bending the sail on or taking it down a tad more complicated.  UV will eventually weaken the lines, so you have to replace them after several years.  This isn't difficult or expensive.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search