Chris Parker - Weather Forecasting Routing

Author
Dick
Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dear fellow OCC members,
I notice a letter from Chris Parker has been posted on the OCC Forum. I wish to support anyone who chooses to use his services.
My wife, Ginger, and I first met Chris on his own boat in 2002 in Baltimore on the Chesapeake. We were among a group of boats heading south the warmer waters. For the next few years we listened to Chris’s daily weather forecasts and benefited from his routing suggestions, all done by voice on SSB. When we were in Central America for a couple of winters, we received daily weather forecast emails (via Winlink) from Chris: the trade winds dominated, but you could get in big trouble if you did not get ample warning of the occasional cold fronts which pushed this far south.
Every year Chris expanded his services a bit and enhanced his experience and expertise. It was with regret that we left his daily briefings when we sailed to Europe in 2006. Since then he has continued to expand his services moving into the vacuum left by the venerable, Herb Hilgenberg (Southbound II).
Over our 10+ years in Europe, we made suggestions to many cruisers of things to take advantage of when they got to the other side of the pond. It was Chris’s weather/routing services that was frequently mentioned as a wonderful suggestion.
Chris is very thorough, conscientious, and knowledgeable, but the added bonus he brings to the mix is that he is an experienced sailor who knows about the cruising life and the concerns of cruising sailors. There is no hesitation on my part in recommending his services.
Please feel free to come back with questions.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)
Hi all,
In a follow up to the notes on Chris Parker, the following was in my “In Box” (only partially reproduced). One of my other foremost suggestions to those of us sailors wandering widely was to join the Seven Seas Cruising Association. It appears that these two stalwart supports to cruising, Chris and SSCA, have joined forces for this new endeavor to facilitate trans-Atlantic passage-makers.
They talk of HAM stations (amateur radio., needs separate licence from marine SSB) but I wonder if that is a typo. Chris usually does his work primarily on marine SSB. The freqs listed are marine SSB (I believe) and not HAM.I will attempt to clarify.
More on SSCA if interested, but google probably fills in the blanks.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy

Hi-Frequency Radio, the Internet, and IRL
[font="Arial",sans-serif]We’re all about helping Cruisers keep in touch. [/font]
[font="Arial",sans-serif]Welcome to the February edition of the Coconut Telegraph, in which we tell you about what’s new or interesting with SSCA, ask for your help, and tease you with bits about the articles in the newest Commodores’ Bulletin.[/font]
[font="Arial",sans-serif]First of all, an important announcement for those planning to cross the Atlantic this spring or in the foreseeable future.[/font]
[font="Arial",sans-serif](Can I have a drum roll, please?)[/font]
[font="Arial",sans-serif]SSCA has partnered with Chris Parker of Marine Weather Service and two other HAM stations to provide a Trans-Atlantic Cruisers’ Net. Beginning on April 15, and continuing during the traditional crossing seasons for spring and winter, Chris Parker will provide weather routing specifically for those crossing the Atlantic. His Trans-Atlantic passage weather will begin at 2200 UTC on SSB frequencies 8.137 USB and 12.350 USB. SSCA’s net controllers Glenn Tuttle and Jim West, as well as Dick Giddings from the Cruiserheimers and Doo-Dah Nets, will host a cruisers’ net at 2130, one-half hour prior to Chris’s broadcast. They will also stand by to provide relays during the weather net. This service is available to all cruisers, not only SSCA members.[/font]
[font="Arial",sans-serif]The Trans-Atlantic Cruisers’ Net Sponsored by SSCA[/font]
[font="Arial",sans-serif] Starting on April 15, 2018, at 2130 UTC on SSB frequency 12.350[/font]
[font="Arial",sans-serif] This Net will be monitored by the following:[/font]
[font="Arial",sans-serif]From SSCA, Glenn Tuttle and Jim West[/font]
[font="Arial",sans-serif]From Cruiseheimers and Doo Dah Nets, Dick Giddings [/font]
[font="Arial",sans-serif]Chris Parker with Marine Weather Center’s Transatlantic Passage Net[/font]
[font="Arial",sans-serif]will follow at 2200 UTC also on SSB frequency 12.350[/font]
Dick
Dick
Hi all,
I just got off the phone with Chris Parker who says that the implication on the SSCA notification in the previous post that the net is a HAM net IS an error. They will be working marine SSB channels, not any HAM frequencies.
This new program is, to me, a huge bonus for those doing Atlantic crossings. In the past, for longer passages, I have always set up my own nets of boats going similar directions at similar times and always found them to be hugely gratifying, always re-assuring and sometimes helpful for trouble shooting and/or advice on weather. I believe at least one of the net-controls prior to Chris are OCC members with much experience on the seas and with radio comm.
My best, Dick
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search