Refilling composite propane bottles

Author
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (623 reputation)Forum Expert (623 reputation)Forum Expert (623 reputation)Forum Expert (623 reputation)Forum Expert (623 reputation)Forum Expert (623 reputation)Forum Expert (623 reputation)Forum Expert (623 reputation)Forum Expert (623 reputation)
Group: Administrators
I would like to seek advice. We have 2x 10kg composite propane bottles we acquired in Iceland. We cannot get these commercially refilled in Greenland and we don’t really want to replace them with the indigenous steel ones. I understand if I connect the regulator on our empty composite via a hose to a regulator on a Greenlandic steel cylinder and the hold the latter upside down and above the composite then the liquid will flow into our composite.

Before I do this can someone please confirm I’m not going to blow up the harbour. I am a little nervous so advice please.
Simon
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Peter,
Thanks for the info on the designations for fittings. And I am glad you found the piece as I am pretty lame at computer searches.
As an aside: our last years in the Med we found Camping Gas getting more expensive. It occurred to me that a very large percentage of our gas use was heating water for tea and coffee (and pasta etc) so we bought an electric kettle for those times we were in a marina. This made a big difference in how long bottles lasted.
This seemed something everyone in Europe knew/used, but not so common among US boats.
Enjoy the Med. My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search