Dual Nationality Boat?

Author
Bill Balme
Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have dual nationality - UK and US. Is it possible for Toodle-oo! to gain dual nationality too? She's American flagged - but it would be nice to show the British Ensign once in a while - some countries are somewhat anti US...

According to the Government website, to gain Part 1 registration you need to be resident in the UK 185 days (I'm not resident anywhere these days!) but according to the RYA, you don't need to be resident at all: Quote: [color=rgb(34, 45, 113)][font="Source Sans Pro", sans-serif]British citizens are eligible to register a vessel on Part 1 of the Register regardless of where they live or how much time they spend in the UK (owners who are not normally resident in the UK are required to appoint a representative person who is).[/font][/color]

I tend to think that the RYA has more accurate info...

An advantage of UK registration is that the document lasts 5 years - US documentation lasts only 1 year and getting the copy to the boat can prove difficult (we are currently awaiting the document in the Azores and can't move until it is received!

Anyone have any thoughts?

Bill Balme
s/v Toodle-oo!

Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (614 reputation)Forum Expert (614 reputation)Forum Expert (614 reputation)Forum Expert (614 reputation)Forum Expert (614 reputation)Forum Expert (614 reputation)Forum Expert (614 reputation)Forum Expert (614 reputation)Forum Expert (614 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Sounds like a good plan if you are lucky enough to have dual nationality. From memory though you do require a rather fatuous tonnage survey which seemed to me to serve no purpose at all. Also I think the Queen (or maybe the Govetnment) retain a share giving them the power of requisition in the event of a national emergency. I might be wrong on this though.
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)
Hi Bill,
I can't imagine boat's being allowed dual nationality. I do know that, part of the requirements for US documentation is that your vessel may be called upon in times of war, a stipulation probably left over from when sailing yachts were used off the US coast in WWII for submarine patrol. There are likely other reasons, none of which may make any sense for our boats.
Let us know what you find out. Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy
Hasbun
Hasbun
New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)
Bill,

While the idea is intriguing, be sure that flying a UK flag and presenting a UK passport won't trigger the right of some officious customs officer somewhere in Euroland to ask for proof of VAT payment.

This can be a complicated issue. Better get some solid expert advice.

Regards,
Bill Balme
Bill Balme
Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)
Fortunately, with regards to VAT at least, I have a get out of jail card - no VAT due - and it's in writing!!! :-)

Bill Balme
s/v Toodle-oo!

Trevor.Martin
Trevor.Martin
New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)
Bill Balme - 28 Jul 2018
I have dual nationality - UK and US. Is it possible for Toodle-oo! to gain dual nationality too? She's American flagged - but it would be nice to show the British Ensign once in a while - some countries are somewhat anti US...According to the Government website, to gain Part 1 registration you need to be resident in the UK 185 days (I'm not resident anywhere these days!) but according to the RYA, you don't need to be resident at all: Quote: [color=rgb(34, 45, 113)][font="Source Sans Pro", sans-serif]British citizens are eligible to register a vessel on Part 1 of the Register regardless of where they live or how much time they spend in the UK (owners who are not normally resident in the UK are required to appoint a representative person who is).[/font][/color]I tend to think that the RYA has more accurate info... An advantage of UK registration is that the document lasts 5 years - US documentation lasts only 1 year and getting the copy to the boat can prove difficult (we are currently awaiting the document in the Azores and can't move until it is received!Anyone have any thoughts?

Just get a UK mailbox from mailboxes etc. This gives you a address in the UK, I have this and its accepted by banks, DVLA, part 1 ships register. That's your  UK address sorted.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search