Cruising Pacific west to east.

Author
Ken
Ken
posted 19 Jul 2012 HOT
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I would like any info from fellow cruisers who have made the trip across the Pacific from West to East.
Ken Hughes
Ospray of Boston
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Ken I think both Darramy and Serendipity have crossed the Pacific this season but from East to West..
Simon
Ken
Ken
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hi Simon,Thanks for the prompt reply.I did the East to West in 2007.Now in the Philippines.Got around as far as India and because of the pirate situation had the choice of S Africa or head back East.Plan to make Vanuata sometime and then head East Fair winds Ken
dcaukill
dcaukill
New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)
Can 't say it would be my favourite passage, predominantly upwind!

I know people do it - mainly Antipodeans -but they start further south and skirt along the south of the South Pacific high then shape up north east as they get further west. You don 't soon like you are rushing, so why not head down south to NZ and then go East?

Alternatively, how about Hawaii and then Alaska? Sunstone has done that journey recently.

David C SY Serendipity.
Ken
Ken
Hi David
Thanks for the info.Going to windward in a Gaffer is not the best cruising!!May be I should bite the bullet and go around S.Africa.Thanks again ,fare winds
Ken S/Y Ospraybof Boston
dcaukill
dcaukill
New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)
:ohmy: Perhaps too much short hand!

The passage back the way you came is likely up wind. Antipodean yachts do sail e.g. to Panama but do so by staying further south (or going further north) to keep out of the trade winds. Neither route has reliable weather - unless you go too far south!
David Tyler
David Tyler
New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)
I 've just sailed from Opua, NZ, to Tahiti, with a week 's stop at Tubuai (14th July to 9th August). It 's the depths of winter here (water temperature 18C rising to 22C!), which means that the Trades are well to the north, and the winds are variable. They have a strong tendency to rotate slowly anticlockwise as the system pass by in the southern ocean. I got strong (20 - 30 knots) northerlies to start, then strong southeasterlies, then a complete anticlockwise rotation to strong southwesterlies - all interspersed with short calms. I had one short 40 knot gale as a cold front went through, but it didn 't hurt too much, because it was sunny and warm. I sail under a modern junk rig, so my windward ability is similar to a well-sailed gaffer.
In October, I 'll go on to Hawai 'i. I sailed from the Marquesas to Hawai 'i in 2007, and it was easy, close-reaching all the way. It will be more on-the-wind from Tahiti, but still do-able. Then the passage from Hawai 'i to Juan de Fuca Strait is sailed full-and-by on starboard tack until you reach the westerlies, then turn right. Again, do-able by a modern junk rigged yacht, so do-able by a gaffer, I 'd think.
Certainly, I 'd prefer this route to going around South Africa.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search