Engine Head Gasket

Author
Bill Balme
Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Does anyone bother carrying a spare head gasket for their main engine? Are head gasket failures likely on a diesel?

Bill Balme
s/v Toodle-oo!

Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Bill,
We carry a head gasket. They were not very pricey, took little room and we were often in very out of the way places. It is not hard to have what I am now calling a “senior moment” and allow the engine to overheat, which I believe to be a pretty common method of needing a new head gasket.
A very simple alarm (http://www.borelmfg.com/products_alarm.htm) which I recommend to all engines (and gensets) is a raw water failure alarm which straps onto your hose after the exhaust elbow and pretty much guarantees that you will get an alarm before you do damage to the engine in the event that raw water fails to get to the engine from a clog, forgetting the seacock etc. The idea is that the hose will overheat pretty much just after deprived of raw water and the alarm will sound way before engine damage.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Dick
Thanks for the link. I just ordered a dual alarm for engine and generator.
Simon
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search