OCC Pacific Rally, Panama to New Zealand.

Author
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)
Group: Administrators
OCC Pacific Rally

Planning a circuitous circumnavigation whilst holding down a day job requires a lot of creative juggling of calendars. That 's exactly what Sally and I have been doing and, as a result, we now have a date for our Pacific Crossing. Given that it is a long way off we wondered if others might like to plug the dates into their cruising diaries so that we can put together an OCC Pacific Rally?

We would like to invite a college of recent OCC Pacific navigators and Port Officers to use their knowledge and experience to devise a perfect itinerary for us. By planning so far ahead it would enable members to get their boats and their crews in the right place at the right time.

If you would be interested in participating (or helping us plan) an OCC Rally between Panama and Opua ( NZ ) from March 2021 until November 2021 then do drop me a line and we will set the ball rolling. The inaugural planning meeting will be at our West Coast of Scotland meeting in May 2017.

To share the crossing to paradise with a fleet of friends would be perfect for us after the loneliness of the north!

Simon & Sally
John Franklin
John Franklin
Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I like the long term planning! Why did I sell Al Shaheen?
Not sure I will still be alive in 2021! Would you like a live-aboard boat sitter while you go back to work? Very good at maintenance.
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)
John
I 'm sure you will be just fine in 2021 and you will always be welcome as a boat sitter whether we are on board or not!
Simon
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Comments below from Facebook:

Frances Rennie Well done on this Simon and Sally

Gus Wilson By the way, I really enjoyed the Currin Greenland Saga.

Jenny Crickmore-Thompson says: brilliant idea - we 'd sign up if we still had a boat!

David Hartman Be sure to join the informal Pacific Puddle Jump Rally out of either Panama or Mexico. Has a great party in Tahiti. You will meet all your Buddy boats for the rest of the passage. Be sure to Create you own Ssb skid as the rally won 't do it.

David Hartman be sure to go to Breveridge Reef. It was definitely the most incredible snorkelling. It 's the atoll with no land 140 mile east Niue. Spent 12 days there but could have stay a month. Fakarava atoll in south pass was the best diving ... 1200 sharks .

Kathi Cuffel Yes, join the Pacific Puddle Jump

Judy Howison We arrived in NZ in November having left Panama late February.....We had small SSB sced Gallapagas to Marquesas but joined another much bigger group Marquesas, Tuamotos, Society Islands and onwards. Tahiti Puddle Jump rendezvous in Moorea was fantastic! A week of cultural events and celebrations on a beautiful island right next door to Tahiti. Took the weather windows to the Samoas and loved the experiences.

Simon, that sounds like a great idea. we sailed dsown to the Canaries this year with OCC east atlantic rally which wa great fun. In 5 years time I reckon we could be ready for a Pacific adventure. Keep us in mind if this comes off - Yacht Zulu Warrior. Merry Christmas!

Judy Howison We had small SSB sced Gallapagas to Marquesas but joined another much bigger group Marquesas, Tuamotos, Society Islands and onwards.

Judy Howison Tahiti Puddle Jump rendezvous in Moorea was fantastic! A week of cultural events and celebrations on a beautiful island right next door to Tahiti

Simon Currin Thanks Judy - all noted. Sadly we will be a few years behind you but nice to be planning ahead.

Judy Howison Took the weather windows to the Samoas and loved the experiences.

Anne Lloyd Happy to meet up in Uk to discuss in detail
We should be back by 2019

Roger John Jones I would respectively suggest that rather than adding another rally the OCC cosponsor existing rallies like the Puddle Jump, the New Caledonia to Bundaberg, etc. These rallies have been running for years and are well sorted.

Kathi Cuffel Cosponoring will take more work, expense and possible liability. Best to just participate as a friendly subgroup . Fly the burgee & promote the club.

Roger John Jones I agree Kathi Cuffel. I was trying to be polite. I think there are enough rallies already. Would love to see more support for the existing ones..Many OCC members already participate in those. Just my personal preference.

Nick Dwyer I have been a live aboard in the south pacific since 2009. The region has much to offer and discover. For me the engagement with native cultures has been the most satisfying element. I can not see how it will be possible to have a meaningful and impart...See more

Chris Bates Agree with you Nick . We try to plan our cruising to avoid rallies and judging by the lack of OCC penants flying on members boats in the Pacific this year so do many others

Simon Currin OK so on balance it sounds like a bad idea. Thanks for the feedback and guidance.

Anne Lloyd Well I think that is true of the world arc etc, but if half a dozen Occ boats were informally cruising in company meeting up from time to time I do not believe this would apply
Many cruisers cruise in and out with friendly boats meeting up here and there and it adds to the fun of the Pacific
I do not think Simon was thinking of a timetabled rally like the ICA or the Warc

Simon Currin Maybe calling it a Rally creates confusion? An OCC event over 6 months or more is unlikely to muster very many boats even with 4 years notice. Re-inventing the WARC was never the intention. I would see it more as a series of rendezvous ' with each boat...See more

Frances Rennie A Cruise in Company is a better idea. Everyone free to do their own thing with their own general timetable but the ability to contact each other over a net, if you manage to meet each other in the same place then an ideal situation to have an informal OCC get together.

Chris Bates Sounds better . But the information is already out there . Read peoples blogs as I did and still do . You will be well prepared

Anne Lloyd Exactly
A typical occ loose cruise/ rally
Happy to discuss good spots on our return to uk

Nick Dwyer I say don 't spend less than two years there, if possible. 1st year invest in French Polynesia, as cyclone season approaches head to Pitcairn and Easter island. 2 year head west, by that time you 'll have had enough sundowners to know what 's next.

Nick Dwyer Oh french poly is expensive , stock up with every thing in Panama as next supermarket is months away and twice the price, at least. Then an other few months to next one! Boat parts are available in Tahiti, cook island, ( flown in from NZ), Fiji, new ca...See more

Simon Currin Thank you Nick

Alan Leslie You have the best possible boat repair facilities in NZ, much better than Australia, Fiji can be OK, Baobab marine at Vuda Pt are not bad, but you need to supervise....New Cal, also good, but expensive
100 m of chain mandatory, 2nd and 3rd anchors good idea, don 't believe your electronic charts...look out the window, look for reefs/rocks ... be seaman like and you will be OK ... be a sailor, not a cruiser with a gps

Anne Lloyd Good point
We put ourselves on a reef when not being super careful in sawani bay in Fiji
Google earth is your friend

Roger Kynaston Let me talk Audrey into going into the Pacific and we will definitely be up for it! :-)

Hi Simon
Just a note to express interest in the NZ Rally
We are currently in Antiqua
Kind regards

Frank Hatfull. S/Y Infinity B. GBR583R
See our sailing blog. www.SailBlogs.com/member/infinityb
Nigel Studdart
Nigel Studdart
New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)
HI Simon,

This may well fit in with my plans and would love to join you. I have a house above Urquharts Bay in NZ and its a stunning anchorage and could make a stop at the end of the trip. Could definitely host a barbecue and a great photo shoot of the boats from my Deck.

I will be crossing later this year from NW Spain in Azura my Oyster 435 and then probably enjoying Central America and the Caribbean

keep me posted snmariner@outlook.com

Cheers

Nigel
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Nigel,
We have spent an extra season in the Canadian Maritimes and so our schedule has slipped by a year I am afraid. Now looking ate entering the Pacific in 2022. I hope our schedules converge at some stage.
Simon
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)
Hi Simon,
And not the last "slippage" I would venture to guess. We find that the longer we are cruising: the slower we would go and the more we wanted to see.
Dick
Michael & Anne Hartshorn
Michael & Anne Hartshorn
New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)
Hi,
We are heading up to Alaska this year but looking at crossing the Pacific 2020/21 and would look at Crusing in company or just stopping for a beer 🍻
Anne & Michael
s/v Nimue
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search