Plumbing Spares for Blue Water Passages

Author
Bill Balme
Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Re-posted on behalf of Brian Wallace.

Hi again all,
In regard to spares for Ocean Cruising.Another item has come to mind in regard to domestic water taps and piping.We replaced our mono bloc galley tap a few years ago, and as with many things. Tap design has altered and possibly production has moved to the far east.The modern method of joining the water supply to the tap from the boats supply is to now use Flexi Connectors. These are certainly not up to the best quality for the marine environment. I am talking about a flexihose with a stainless flexi covering. this stainless is only simple basic stainless. When it deteriorates, it exposes the rubber hose inside to become vulnerable.We have had two fail over a number of years, so maybe one should check how taps are connected, and if Flexi Connectors, it may be handy to keep a couple of spare hoses in the kit. as we all know if something is going to break it is sods law you will be 1000 miles from the plumbers merchant. I am considering fitting standard 15mm isolation valves (as in ones house) so a damaged hose can be isolated without loosing the whole pressurized water system. Food for thought anyway.
Sail safe

Brian
S/V Darramy

Bill Balme
s/v Toodle-oo!

T_social
T
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
Bill Balme - 9/26/2018
Re-posted on behalf of Brian Wallace[font=sans-serif]Hi again all,[/font][font=sans-serif]In regard to spares for Ocean Cruising.[/font][font=sans-serif]Another item has come to mind in regard to domestic water taps and piping.[/font][font=sans-serif]We replaced our mono bloc galley tap a few years ago, and as with many things. Tap design has altered and possibly production has moved to the far east.[/font][font=sans-serif]The modern method of joining the water supply to the tap from the boats supply is to now use Flexi Connectors. These are certainly not up to the best quality for the marine enviroment.[/font][font=sans-serif]I am talking about a flexihose with a stainless flexi covering. this stainless is only simple basic stainless. When it deteriorates, it exposes the rubber hose inside to become vulnerable.[/font][font=sans-serif]We have had two fail over a number of years, so maybe one should check how taps are connected, and if Flexi Connectors, it may be handy to keep a couple of spare hoses in the kit. as we all know if something is going to break it is sods law you will be 1000 miles from the plumbers merchant.[/font][font=sans-serif]I am considering fitting standard 15mm isolation valves (as in ones house) so a damaged hose can be isolated without loosing the whole pressurized water system.[/font][font=sans-serif]Food for thought anyway.[/font][font=sans-serif]Sail safe[/font][font=sans-serif]Brian[/font][font=sans-serif]S/V Darramy[/font][font=sans-serif][/font]

How interesting is it I did exactly the same thing a few days ago by delivering products on a plumbing site and how much I would like to support these products and even use it for myself.
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)
T_social - 7/17/2019
Bill Balme - 9/26/2018
Re-posted on behalf of Brian Wallace[font=sans-serif]Hi again all,[/font][font=sans-serif]In regard to spares for Ocean Cruising.[/font][font=sans-serif]Another item has come to mind in regard to domestic water taps and piping.[/font][font=sans-serif]We replaced our mono bloc galley tap a few years ago, and as with many things. Tap design has altered and possibly production has moved to the far east.[/font][font=sans-serif]The modern method of joining the water supply to the tap from the boats supply is to now use Flexi Connectors. These are certainly not up to the best quality for the marine enviroment.[/font][font=sans-serif]I am talking about a flexihose with a stainless flexi covering. this stainless is only simple basic stainless. When it deteriorates, it exposes the rubber hose inside to become vulnerable.[/font][font=sans-serif]We have had two fail over a number of years, so maybe one should check how taps are connected, and if Flexi Connectors, it may be handy to keep a couple of spare hoses in the kit. as we all know if something is going to break it is sods law you will be 1000 miles from the plumbers merchant.[/font][font=sans-serif]I am considering fitting standard 15mm isolation valves (as in ones house) so a damaged hose can be isolated without loosing the whole pressurized water system.[/font][font=sans-serif]Food for thought anyway.[/font][font=sans-serif]Sail safe[/font][font=sans-serif]Brian[/font][font=sans-serif]S/V Darramy[/font][font=sans-serif][/font]

How interesting is it I did exactly the same thing a few days ago by delivering products on a plumbing site and how much I would like to support these products and even use it for myself.

Hi Brian,

I have read about some of the new systems for plumbing and they sound interesting, but I have no experience. On Alchemy, my guidance system for new things is, in part, “Does it solve a problem?” If not, I tend to leave it alone. The other criteria is whether a new system might it save work.

The hose clamp and hose system has always worked for us, so I have never considered alternatives. Working with hose and hose clamps, barbed fittings etc. can sometimes be a pain, but somehow always seems to work out and there are tricks learned along the way that have made the work easier and more reliable.

As for keeping the system usable with a faucet removed, I take an appropriately sized bolt, wrap it with electric tape till I can just insert it in the hose and clamped it. Isolation valves on a house system make sense as the piping is usually metal (or hard plastic) and de-pressurizing a whole household system is difficult. Depressurizing a boat’s system is no big deal and one is just dealing with hose ends.

If the flexi hose/stainless that you are describing is like the shower hose on some installations, I am not sure I would want that swinging below my sink all the time in dark damp places. Are there not alternatives?

My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy
bwallace
bwallace
Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)
Hi again Dick, we must stop meeting like this!

The flexi hose is fairly standard in domestic situations in Europe.
Most of our fittings are metric these days, so we have to find stuff that is comparable. If replacing taps or faucets, you have to be able to connect securely and efficiently. Flexihose are good, they come in various lengths so there is no great surplus of pipe swinging about.
I wrote the article a while back, and just wanted to point out that a couple of spare hoses would be good to keep aboard, as things have moved on. We replaced our galley tap in Somoa as the original one after 20 years was tired. We could not get the hard fittings to fit the boats original spec.
In Sicily our Somoan (made in China) tap, was leaking so it was easier and cheaper to replace again. This time i fitted isolation valves for future convenience.(they cost very little and enable one to work on the system without draining down etc) Also as seniority approaches, I am trying to make all future work in small dark awkward inaccessible places as easy as possible.
Your method is tried and tested, nothing wrong with it. circumstances made us adapt and improve to what was available.

Take care

Brian and Sue still enjoying the Peloponnisos
S/V Darramy
bwallace
bwallace
Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)
Hi again Dick,
One thing I omitted was that the supply pipes on Darramy and on many production boats from the 80’s had Alkathene supply pipes for the water. This stuff is so hard you cannot clamp it with pipe clips unless you warm the tube with a heat gun. Hot water will not soften the pipe enough to get a pipe clip to get a good seal.
Yes the pipe clip will work on plastic reinforced water pipe. I know it is now available in blue and red,. Pipe clips and a bolt with PTFE will work well..

Alkathene tubing is also wonderful stuff to save abrasion on shore lines that go over a concrete quay to a bollard, or on an anchor strop (snubber) that runs over the bow roller.

We have been using the same bit of tubing on our strop for 15 years.

Take care
Brian
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)
bwallace - 7/20/2019
Hi again Dick, we must stop meeting like this!

The flexi hose is fairly standard in domestic situations in Europe.
Most of our fittings are metric these days, so we have to find stuff that is comparable. If replacing taps or faucets, you have to be able to connect securely and efficiently. Flexihose are good, they come in various lengths so there is no great surplus of pipe swinging about.
I wrote the article a while back, and just wanted to point out that a couple of spare hoses would be good to keep aboard, as things have moved on. We replaced our galley tap in Somoa as the original one after 20 years was tired. We could not get the hard fittings to fit the boats original spec.
In Sicily our Somoan (made in China) tap, was leaking so it was easier and cheaper to replace again. This time i fitted isolation valves for future convenience.(they cost very little and enable one to work on the system without draining down etc) Also as seniority approaches, I am trying to make all future work in small dark awkward inaccessible places as easy as possible.
Your method is tried and tested, nothing wrong with it. circumstances made us adapt and improve to what was available.

Take care

Brian and Sue still enjoying the Peloponnisos
S/V Darramy

Hi Brian, Understood and agree. There are spares that one forgets about and we all benefit from reminding. Best to Sue. Dic
T_social
T
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
Bill Balme - 9/26/2018

how interesting.
Because a while ago I was reading about one of the rnadz projects that are almost like what you are doing.
You might find it interesting, but of course, there were some other uses besides Flexi that I don't remember precisely.
For more information
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search