Electric outboards

Author
Dick
Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hasbun - 10/9/2016
Frustrating!All I can say is that both of our batteries charge equally well with either the fast charger (3.5 hrs to charge) or the original charger (14 hours to charge). A difference is that the fast charger warms up the battery whereas the original charger does not. As it is well known that internal heating is a dire enemy of lithium battery life, we keep both chargers together but only use the fast charger when we imperatively know we must recharge a battery quickly because we will need it shortly; i.e., rarely.Best,

Hi all,
There is another fairly strong, to me, argument in favor of electric outboards such as Torqeedo.
There are seasons where you use your dinghy all the time and there are seasons where it gets little use. Newfoundland has been a season where we have been tying up at wharfs and visiting small towns. Anchorages are scarce as the depths are great and are interests are more inclined to the communities than to gunkholing.
In years past, I used to hate the gas/petrol powered outboard sitting on my transom having the fuel go slowly bad and turning into varnish in the carburetor. And, yes, I always ran it dry, but gas-powered outboards just like to be used and have their fuel fresh.
With the Torqeedo, that is not a worry.
I also had my outboard serviced with regularity (and sometimes repaired): the servicing is no longer an issue and, so far, there has been no repairs necessary.
BTW, the above observation goes for dinghies as well. I have a hard nesting dinghy that rows well and is out of the way under the boom. It is largely impervious to sun/rain/dirt etc. I used to hate storing my inflatable on the foredeck for long periods unused. Not only was it in the way of sail/spinnaker/ground tackle handling at times, but it was slowly but surely being destroyed by the sun.
Further thoughts, Dick Stevenson, s/vAlchemy

Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)
Group: Administrators
We love our elderly Torqeedo but was dismayed today to break both blades off the prop without breaking either the shear pin or the skeg both of which should project the $99 propeller. Do they become brittle with age?
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)
Simon Currin - 29 May 2022
We love our elderly Torqeedo but was dismayed today to break both blades off the prop without breaking either the shear pin or the skeg both of which should project the $99 propeller. Do they become brittle with age?

Hi Simon,
Sounds like they do become brittle with age. I am sorry you discovered this. As you shop for a replacement, please note that in addition to the 2-blade model the unit comes with, Torqeedo also makes 3 blade model: not sure what that gives you: perhaps more thrust if pushing around a day-sail sailboat which has more weight and windage.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy
PS I am near a Torqeedo dealer if I can help.

Dick
Dick
Dick - 31 May 2022
Simon Currin - 29 May 2022

Hi Simon,
Sounds like they do become brittle with age. I am sorry you discovered this. As you shop for a replacement, please note that in addition to the 2-blade model the unit comes with, Torqeedo also makes 3 blade model: not sure what that gives you: perhaps more thrust if pushing around a day-sail sailboat which has more weight and windage.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy
PS I am near a Torqeedo dealer if I can help.

Hi again,
If brittle, I would suspect UV. It might be wise to put a "bonnet" on the prop when stored outside during the season. Dick
Eric Zon
Eric Zon
New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)
HI Simon, I bought the Torqeedo 1103 last year and of course like it when it works. I have taken it to the Caribbean and when it stopped working (as they all seem to do) I had to wait till I was back in the UK to get it fixed (under warranty). Something to do with wiring in the tiller, not something we could fix ourselves. A friend of mine had the same problem, send it off and got it back apparently fixed but when he brought it back to his boat in Greece it didn't work. Now out of guarantee and not working.

Charging etc no problem as you say but I do think they are not robust enough if you take them apart every day. Also with no service available in the Caribbean and in places such as Greece you are rather stuck when they don't work. I will have to buy a petrol outboard when I go further afield for these reliability issues which does rather defeat the object. Would be great if we (OCC) could get a dialogue going with Torqeedo and help them improve
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Eric
I’ve not had a problem with the throttle and have found ours to be reliable having used it for 10 years or thereabouts and often in remote regions. We still carry a 9.8hp Tohatsu 2 stoke just in case but it’s so heavy to lug around we have’t used it since 2015 and so we are likely to part with it soon. As mentioned earlier in this thread the only issue we had was charger incompatibility with 1st generation batteries but now we understand the issue we can avoid the problem.

We did pick up a spare prop from West Marine in Portland, Maine.

On the way from mooring to dock today on Block Island we saw 4 other Torqeedos in action so they do seem to be catching on.

I’m sorry the newer model is has reliability issues - what went wrong with the throttle and is it the same as the 1003?

Simon

Eric Zon - 7 Jun 2022
HI Simon, I bought the Torqeedo 1103 last year and of course like it when it works. I have taken it to the Caribbean and when it stopped working (as they all seem to do) I had to wait till I was back in the UK to get it fixed (under warranty). Something to do with wiring in the tiller, not something we could fix ourselves. A friend of mine had the same problem, send it off and got it back apparently fixed but when he brought it back to his boat in Greece it didn't work. Now out of guarantee and not working.

Charging etc no problem as you say but I do think they are not robust enough if you take them apart every day. Also with no service available in the Caribbean and in places such as Greece you are rather stuck when they don't work. I will have to buy a petrol outboard when I go further afield for these reliability issues which does rather defeat the object. Would be great if we (OCC) could get a dialogue going with Torqeedo and help them improve

Dick
Dick
Simon Currin - 14 Jun 2022
Eric
I’ve not had a problem with the throttle and have found ours to be reliable having used it for 10 years or thereabouts and often in remote regions. We still carry a 9.8hp Tohatsu 2 stoke just in case but it’s so heavy to lug around we have’t used it since 2015 and so we are likely to part with it soon. As mentioned earlier in this thread the only issue we had was charger incompatibility with 1st generation batteries but now we understand the issue we can avoid the problem.

On the way from mooring to dock today on Block Island we saw 4 other Torqeedos in action so they do seem to be catching on.

I’m sorry the newer model is has reliability issues - what went wrong with the throttle and is it the same as the 1003?

Simon

Eric Zon - 7 Jun 2022

Hi Simon & Eric,
They are definately catching on, which might mean some QC problems in the short run. I see them more and more often. Mine is 8 yo and I have had no problems, That said mine is a good rowing dink so my Torqeedo is not used so often.
Simon, My experience with outboards is that they like to be used or they are unreliable: i am wondering if you find that with the Tohatsu? Two stroke probably helps: definately hang on to that relic. Dick
Eric Zon
Eric Zon
New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)
Simon Currin - 14 Jun 2022
Eric

Simon

Eric Zon - 7 Jun 2022

Sonia Johal
Sonia Johal
I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)
Simon Currin - 14 Mar 2012
We have become firm converts to the new generation of lithium battery powered electric outboards. The battery technology gives them plenty of endurance and enough power for most displacement tenders. We have an inverter on board so re-charging is quick and easy but I understand you can use bespoke solar chargers though these aren 't cheap. The great advantages are that they are silent, very light weight and there is no longer a need to keep petrol on board.

Our Torqeedo 1003 has, on the whole, been very reliable but, during the second season an integrated circuit board in the battery blew. The dealer arranged repair under warranty without fuss but the UK service agency proved to be slow, unhelpful and arrogant. I hope that they get this glitch sorted as it 's a great outboard.
http://www.torqeedo.com/index.php

Thanks Simon,

I’m currently considering the following cost effective options for an electric outboard;

3hp equivalent 1000w Temo 1000 most compact and only weighing 11kg.

6hp equivalent 5000w ePropulsion Navy 3.0, with hydogeneration function.

and

9.9hp equivalent Mitek engine. Italian (can’t find UK supplier) light weight and most cost effective option that even looks like a petrol outboard engine.

My issues are lifting the weight of the motor and the cost per hp equivalent.

However, I have been informed that for a circumnavigation, I need to purchase at least a 10hp equivalent.

Please would you share your recommendations?

Grateful for your help and feedback.

Regards,

Sonia
SY Salacia
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search