ARC Fishing

Author
Richard Hurd
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi - Can anyone offer any advice regarding fishing when crossing the Atlantic with the ARC from the Canaries to St Lucia?  I have been given the crew task of buying some lures, lines and other paraphernalia to help top-up our meagre ARC rations. I'm not sure what fish are likely to be caught during the passage, what line strength we should take and what types of lures the likely fish might prefer? Do I need a rod, or are there any other ways of preventing shock loads when a fish gets caught? I reckon we'll be trying to sail at an average of around 7 knots. Any advice would be great please. Many thanks from a novice fisherman. Rich
Roberto.Gradnik
Roberto.Gradnik
New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)
Richard Hurd - 10/19/2019
Hi - Can anyone offer any advice regarding fishing when crossing the Atlantic with the ARC from the Canaries to St Lucia?  I have been given the crew task of buying some lures, lines and other paraphernalia to help top-up our meagre ARC rations. I'm not sure what fish are likely to be caught during the passage, what line strength we should take and what types of lures the likely fish might prefer? Do I need a rod, or are there any other ways of preventing shock loads when a fish gets caught? I reckon we'll be trying to sail at an average of around 7 knots. Any advice would be great please. Many thanks from a novice fisherman. Rich

HI Rich,
I did the ARC two yers ago and had some success with a fishing rod, 40lb line and lures both little squids and little fish type. I think the best are the little squids, pink. We caught Mahi Mahi and bonito, all when doing 7 knots or less.
Richard Hurd
Richard Hurd
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Roberto.Gradnik - 10/30/2019
Richard Hurd - 10/19/2019

HI Rich,
I did the ARC two yers ago and had some success with a fishing rod, 40lb line and lures both little squids and little fish type. I think the best are the little squids, pink. We caught Mahi Mahi and bonito, all when doing 7 knots or less.

Many thanks Roberto - much appreciated.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search