When to Antifoul?

Author
bwallace
Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi everyone,

For many years, I have been antifouling the hull a short time after we have lifted out. I get quite a few questioning this method or timing of painting the hull. Many people still believe the paint has to be applied just before launching. I believe this is a left over practice from those days long ago when TBT ANTIFOUL was the best thing since sliced bread!

I started doing the painting at the end of the season when we were in the tropics, as when returning to the boat at the end of the rainy season, you could wait days to apply the bottom paint if you were unfortunate with the weather and launching had to be delayed. Whereas at the end of the season, before the rainy season really got underway, there was usually better weather conditions to apply the paint.

I wrote to the manufacturer of “Sea Hawk” which was the paint we were using, and they had no problem with this method. They just said to give the hull a good wash with fresh water before launching
. This has worked fine, We are now in Greece, I contacted international paints, who agreed with what I was doing and said to carry on.
So I have just completed the Antifouling again ready for next season.

As an aside, Darramy has been in under my ownership for 27 seasons, and I reckon I have now applied over 50 coats of anti fouling.. I am glad it has all been an eroding paint I have used as the build up of paint is still negligible. I see a few boats have Copper Coat, and it seems great, however years ago Copper Coat was not really in my budget. Isn’t hindsight wonderful,,

I post this as I have been getting funny looks and many questions from some people this year, but we hope to be back in the water in April, and know that much of the hard work before launching is out of the way. It would also be different if one was getting the yard to do the work for you.

Anyway food for thought.

Sail Safe

Brian and Sue
S/V Darramy
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
bwallace - 11/9/2019
Hi everyone,For many years, I have been antifouling the hull a short time after we have lifted out. I get quite a few questioning this method or timing of painting the hull. Many people still believe the paint has to be applied just before launching. I believe this is a left over practice from those days long ago when TBT ANTIFOUL was the best thing since sliced bread!I started doing the painting at the end of the season when we were in the tropics, as when returning to the boat at the end of the rainy season, you could wait days to apply the bottom paint if you were unfortunate with the weather and launching had to be delayed. Whereas at the end of the season, before the rainy season really got underway, there was usually better weather conditions to apply the paint.I wrote to the manufacturer of “Sea Hawk” which was the paint we were using, and they had no problem with this method. They just said to give the hull a good wash with fresh water before launching . This has worked fine, We are now in Greece, I contacted international paints, who agreed with what I was doing and said to carry on.So I have just completed the Antifouling again ready for next season. As an aside, Darramy has been in under my ownership for 27 seasons, and I reckon I have now applied over 50 coats of anti fouling.. I am glad it has all been an eroding paint I have used as the build up of paint is still negligible. I see a few boats have Copper Coat, and it seems great, however years ago Copper Coat was not really in my budget. Isn’t hindsight wonderful,,I post this as I have been getting funny looks and many questions from some people this year, but we hope to be back in the water in April, and know that much of the hard work before launching is out of the way. It would also be different if one was getting the yard to do the work for you.Anyway food for thought.Sail SafeBrian and SueS/V Darramy

Hi Brian,
I believe that to be a brilliant suggestion for many boats. We all get stuck in out various patterns and doing anti-fouling close to launch is one of the requirements that has been long left in the dust of time while many/most of us keep marching to its dictates . And you are correct in all the reasons to get it done early. Too many times one’s launch date gets written in stone and the weather does not cooperate.
After haul out just makes a great deal more sense all around.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search