Best Practices OCC Lay Up Guide

Author
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Please find attached the OCC Lay Up Guide. Phil Heaton has very kindly taken all of the discussions from an earlier OCC Forum Thread and consolidated them into an authoritative guide to laying up a boat both in a warm country and a very cold country. The attached PDF will be published in paper form in the 2020 OCC Handbook and will, hopefully, be on your boat at the end of the season when you prepare your boat for the winter. The conversations that informed the final attached document can be found using this link: https://forum.oceancruisingclub.org/topic2197-overwintering-a-boat-that-will-be-unattended.aspx I hope that this piece of work proves useful and we will endeavour to publicise the OCC Lay Up guide elsewhere on the website, eBulletin and Newsletter.Simon
Attachments
OCC Lay up 2019-03.pdf (853 views, 717.00 KB)
neilm
neilm
New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Simon Currin - 3/19/2019
Please find attached the OCC Lay Up Guide. Phil Heaton has very kindly taken all of the discussions from an earlier OCC Forum Thread and consolidated them into an authoritative guide to laying up a boat both in a warm country and a very cold country. The attached PDF will be published in paper form in the 2020 OCC Handbook and will, hopefully, be on your boat at the end of the season when you prepare your boat for the winter. The conversations that informed the final attached document can be found using this link: https://forum.oceancruisingclub.org/topic2197-overwintering-a-boat-that-will-be-unattended.aspx I hope that this piece of work proves useful and we will endeavour to publicise the OCC Lay Up guide elsewhere on the website, eBulletin and Newsletter.Simon

I like the guide.  Thanks to Phil for putting it together.
One rather serious problem.
The guide suggests in section 4.8
"Aluminium foil inside transparent hatches will protect inside varnish and upholstery."

We did this on Milvina in Panama last summer.  When we returned to the boat we found that in a 60 cm square hatch the glass had bowed upwards by about a centimetre, breaking the seal and making the glass useless.  I do not know which tradename plastic glass it was.  It had survived several summer layups, but never with aluminium foil inside.  Of course, Panama being 9 deg N has a fierce sun.

Andrew.Craig-Bennett
Andrew.Craig-Bennett
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I like this Guide very much indeed. Thank you.
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Thank you Andrew
Simon
Andrew.Craig-Bennett - 5/21/2020
I like this Guide very much indeed. Thank you.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search