Knox Anchor

Author
Alex Blackwell
Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Has anyone exerience with a Knox Anchor?
We are currently taking one out for a cruise. First attempt in hard sand: sets and holds well.

Bill Balme
Bill Balme
Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)
That's an odd one! What's the split at the front all about? Whereas SPADE has a lead weight right there... Be interesting to see how you fare with it. What weight is it (and what make/size anchor did you take off?)

We're using a SPADE right now - and it's good, though doesn't set nearly as easily as our Manson Supreme. I find that  if I try to set it with much less than 5:1 scope, I won't get a good set - whereas the Manson would have dug itself in at 2 or 3:1. The SPADE certainly does fit the bow more easily though!

Bill Balme
s/v Toodle-oo!

Alex Blackwell
Alex Blackwell
Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)
Hi Bill

Yes, this is an interesting anchor and when we found it online, we just had to check it out.

As I am sure you know, anchoring is our subject. We write about it frequently, are authors of the best-selling anchoring book (Happy Hooking) and do regular webinars and seminars on the subject.

In the process of our work we do endeavour to try anything new on the market to stay up to date. So yes, we did remove our Ultra anchor while we gave the Knox a go. In the meanwhile we have amassed quite a collection of anchors...

Interesting your comment on the Spade. To date we have been the only ones who made the same comment. It is an excelelent anchor, but does need a bit more scope to set initially.
Sandy.Garrity
Sandy.Garrity
New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)
I've invested in a Knox, it will be fitted over the winter 2020/21 in the hope that we will be circumnavigating the United Kingdom, COVID allowing in 2021.

If I remember I'll post an update about this time next year.
Alex Blackwell
Alex Blackwell
Sandy.Garrity - 10/13/2020
I've invested in a Knox, it will be fitted over the winter 2020/21 in the hope that we will be circumnavigating the United Kingdom, COVID allowing in 2021.

Do, please keep us posted, Sandy!
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)
Sandy.Garrity - 10/13/2020

Hi Sandy,
What were the attributes of the Knox anchor that lead you to choose it? And not sure what you mean by "fitted"? And I certainly hope, with you, that we are exercising our anchors next season.
Thanks, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy
Daria Blackwell
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
Group: Administrators
The split in the flukes is intended to release substrate so it doesn't come up with lots of muck like the Rocna does. It does indeed let the mud and sand flow off the anchor much more readily. 

Vice Commodore, OCC 
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)
Daria Blackwell - 10/20/2020
The split in the flukes is intended to release substrate so it doesn't come up with lots of muck like the Rocna does. It does indeed let the mud and sand flow off the anchor much more readily. 

Hi Daria,
That, indeed, would be a nice attribute.
I will be interested in whether split flukes can tolerate the rough and tumble of varied bottom challenges: such as those time when there is differential loading, one side resting on a rock. I would guess that if one fluke was out of alignment with the other, the whole geometry of the anchor would be compromised and the anchor might twist around when setting ina not-so-good way.
Like so many new products, time and multiple usage scenarios will clarify.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy
Michael & Anne Hartshorn
Michael & Anne Hartshorn
New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)
Dear Daria,
We started our cruse in 2008 with a proper Bruce, that changed to a Spade. The Spade is an excellent anchor and never let us down, although always needed a good clean upon retrieval.
Looking for a spare second Anchor we came accross the Sarca Excel. The company gave us a free trial and we used it in all terrain for a number of months in BC Canada. We found it set very well, even on a short scope and the writing on the anchor blade is good as helps keep it clean.
The spade is now our second anchor, because it splits in two and fits the anchor locker well.
Looking at the Knox I would agree with Dick, the flukes look very vulnerable and I don't think I could trust it in a blow.
Regards
Michael Hartshorn
s/v Nimue.

Alex Blackwell
Alex Blackwell
Hi All
Thanks for your comments
We found the Knox worked very well under numerous situations.
Prof Knox designed it based on decades of scientific research. This was published in PBO.

We have posted an article here:
http://cruising.coastalboating.net/Seamanship/Anchoring/KnoxAnchor/index.html

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search